RIAA going after people who buy CD's now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html

Quote:

In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

"Personal use" appears to be illegal in the RIAA eyes apparently.

If true that he copied the CD's he purchased to his own computer for his own use, never publicly played them nor ever illegally or otherwise shared them, the RIAA has **NO** case on this one.

They really are picking on this guy.

"the recording industry has utterly failed to halt the decline of the record album or the rise of digital music sharing."

That sums it up perfectly. The RIAA is sooooo far behind on offering services to their customers that they may never catch up. As a result of them ever-fumbling, their only 'solution' is to use the courts as their weapon.

Forget that junk... I almost exclusively buy used CDs on Amazon and convert them to variable bit rate MP3 for use on my PC and MP3 player. I don't share them and I have both a hardware and a software firewall, so I'd like to see them try and sue me.

Originally Posted By: ethangsmith
Freakin' commies. This is why I have about 75% of my music on LPs and 45s. The stupid RIAA won't be after me for them!

By using the wording in RIAA's cases, it sound that once you buy a recording, you are buying the rights to listen to it. Which means that if your LP's happen to wear out, which they will. RIAA owes you a new one. Since they don't make LP's anymore, they owe you a CD.

Turn the tables on them!!!

Originally Posted By: blueiedgod
Originally Posted By: ethangsmith
Freakin' commies. This is why I have about 75% of my music on LPs and 45s. The stupid RIAA won't be after me for them!

By using the wording in RIAA's cases, it sound that once you buy a recording, you are buying the rights to listen to it. Which means that if your LP's happen to wear out, which they will. RIAA owes you a new one. Since they don't make LP's anymore, they owe you a CD.

Turn the tables on them!!!

GENIUS!! I should do this!! Then again, they'll turn around and sue me for the cd they just gave me or something stupid like that.

I almost expect to see the emergence of Disposable Single Use CDs.

"This RIAA-approved DSUCD will self-destruct once you have listened to it. Please protect your eyes, ears, and crotch."

This RIAA "making an example" stuff isn't working. Most people that download illegal music don't watch the news or read the papers.

Instead of investing all this time in money and lawsuits, they could have been developing an online music store and MAKING MONEY BY DOING SO.

1. Albums should be about 5-10 bucks. If you pay 5, you get a digital download. If you pay 10, you get a download AND a physical copy of the CD.

2. Get rid of this DRM bull****. If I pay for the music, I want to be able to play and burn it as much as I want, no exceptions.

Nah, wait a minute. Forget about that.

The RIAA and record companies as we know them are DEAD. They're just biting, clawing, and scratching while they still can. Buying CD's in stores is something that's not going to be around for much longer.

The revolution has already started. Artists like Radiohead and NIN are leading the way.

The new model is buying music directly from the artist. You go to the artists website, pay some money (like 5 dollars), and then have download access to a high quality version of the album, complete with artwork. The music doesn't have any DRM, and once you download it can do as you please (within the bounds of common sense).

This way, the artist themselves get all the profits, there's no middlemen to jack up the price, you don't have to deal with the record companies DRM schemes and overall [censored], the artist doesn't get jacked around by a record company, the album is available as soon as it gets mastered, and we as fans can get new music without having to pay 20 dollars for a CD.

So long over controlling greedy record companies! Can't say I'll miss ya.

You can still "tape" music off the radio.

I'd love to have a hard drive or mp3 player full of music for which I have no physical media, nor any online receipt.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Nah, wait a minute. Forget about that.

The RIAA and record companies as we know them are DEAD. They're just biting, clawing, and scratching while they still can. Buying CD's in stores is something that's not going to be around for much longer.

The revolution has already started. Artists like Radiohead and NIN are leading the way.

The new model is buying music directly from the artist. You go to the artists website, pay some money (like 5 dollars), and then have download access to a high quality version of the album, complete with artwork. The music doesn't have any DRM, and once you download it can do as you please (within the bounds of common sense).

This way, the artist themselves get all the profits, there's no middlemen to jack up the price, you don't have to deal with the record companies DRM schemes and overall [censored], the artist doesn't get jacked around by a record company, the album is available as soon as it gets mastered, and we as fans can get new music without having to pay 20 dollars for a CD.

So long over controlling greedy record companies! Can't say I'll miss ya.

if artists can do that, does that mean Chinese Democracy(sp) will come out sometime in the forseable future ??? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back