Which Schaeffers to replace M1 10w-30 for performance engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ford 302 stroked and poked to 349 CI. The car is used for weekend street and autocross. I am currently running M1 10w30 with Molakule's 132/LC combo additive. I have 2 jugs of M1 left in my inventory. Since my pan holds 7 quarts between the large filter and cooler I expect to tear through the 2 jugs quickly.

I live in South Florida so I'd like to keep it at or above 10w-30. Also, the stroker puts an additional strain on the pistons and cylinder walls.

What Schaeffers engine oil would be an appropriate replacement for the M1/132/LC combo?

Thanks for the help.

Schaeffer's 10w30 or 15w40 should work well.
smile.gif

I was going to ask which one, but checking out their website gave me my answer:

#306 Micron Moly 10W-30 SL, Energy Conserving-II. exceeds Ford, ILSAC GF-3 General Motors & foreign car specs.

Would it offer more protection in the South Florida heat? I'm willing to sacrifice a few hp in favor of longevity on the engine.

Nitrox, the #306 Micron Moly is a 100% mineral oil.

Wouldn't you rather have their Supreme 7000 10W-30 synthetic (PAO) blend which is only $0.25-$0.50 more per quart?
dunno.gif

The Supreme 7000 should have a 7XX number, either 701, 702, etc ...

--- Bror Jace

I run the Schaeffer's 15W-40 PAO Blend in my Heads @ Cam LS1 with great analysis results. Their new coming 5W-40 Blend looks awesome too.

Nitrox,
If you engine is put together with looser clearances and a stock engine, you might consider the 20W-50 race oil. Generally speaking, match the oil viscosity to the size of the clearances in the engine. Also match the viscosity to the expected oil temperature.

The new Schaeffer 9000 5W-40 might also be a good choice; it's a Group III - Group IV blend.

Ken

Street clearances. For what I am spending on this engine, I am willing to give up some hp for longevity. I didn't notice I was looking at a mineral oil. That's why I was asking which oil is an appropriate replacement. Isn't 5w-40 too great a span in weight? I remeber reading somewhere the 5w50 Syntec was loaded with polymers or something that allowed the oil to break down quickly. Obviously I don't know a whole lot about engine oil.

Nitrox, it depends. That used to be the case, for sure.

Newer (and more expensive) oil formulations are better able to pull off the wider viscosity spreads without too many of the pitfalls.

I wouldn't worry about any Schaeffer Oil formulation breaking down and forming goo inside your motor.

I'd use either their Supreme 7000 10W-30 or the new 5W-40 without hesitation.

I like their 15W-40 for lawn & garden equipment and other heavy duty uses but wonder if it will cause you to lose some horsepower and/or fuel economy like we've seen in other cases of HDEOs.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Nitrox. I would run the Schaeffer's Supreme blend 700 15-40. The minimal hp loss you may have will be far exceeded in thelongevity and performance. This oil has proven itself many times over with engine builders and racers at all levels. This is an incredibly well blended oil.

On your 5-50 polymers question.
GoupIII's have a max visc of 68. polymers have to be added to raise visc. Pao syn has a max of 1500. Which is why our 5-40 combo is an a great blend as well.

Ryan00TJ, that's good to know ... but I've seen this with other brands of HDEOs ... even Delvac 1.
shocked.gif

I felt the need to point that out ... even though I'm a strong propponent of using HDEOs in engines other than diesels.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back