My NuFinish Review (good stuff!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
I used Nufinish on one truck and one car this weekend, first time since since last summer. Judging from the water beading while washing it it doesn't last a year if the vehicles sit outside, instead it seemed to last about nine months (was still beading this spring) and then the summer sun kills the remainder. I used the paste this time instead of the liquid, and it goes on different, using less but not staying soft as long, thus perhaps not cleaning as well. I used the 'black again;' I think it's called, thick liquid, with a toothbrush to get the stray Nufinish off of the black plastic, and it worked well.

I'll keep using it until I hear about something else that lasts as long on vehicles that sit outside.

You basicly duplicated Consumer Reports findings from '06. The liquid cleaned better but the paste lasted longer versus the other pastes at least. I don't know if they directly compared liquids to pastes.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Well, based on these comments, I went out and bought some and tried it as well. Used it on my F150 and geesh, it was hard to get off. I even pulled out my mechanical buffer and I still couldn't get all the wax off. I don't know what the problem was. I washed it first but it some places you can still see the wax on the paint when I applied it. I've buffed that thing all weekend. I then used my MXT on my Honda and it was a night and day difference. Stuff came right off with no tell-tale residue signs. I was not impressed. Hope I can still find the reciept and take them up on their guarantee offer.

I found just the opposite to be true. NXT especially if applied to thick was really a bear to remove, thin its fair to good. I would do a small area again with Nufinish for a second test. The 1st application I felt was a bit of work as well. Of course I had let the red on my F150 turn a nice white oxide before I tried it
15.gif
Now its a easy on/off process.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I got the stains out with some wax stripper/aerosol paint cleaner/preparer I got at a body shop supply store. This will be handy for preparing my car for rock chip repairs as well.

It took a ton of elbow grease to do it though. I'm not using Nu-finish again on any vehicle with any black plastic on it. It does a decent quick on my wife's car though.

You know, I did notice that the thicker areas were the hardest to get off. Maybe I got a little too crazy with the stuff.

Hard to get the Nufinish off ? Did you apply with a trowel and cure it with a heat gun ? I find that it comes off very easy, but I let it dry, use a slightly coarse cloth to get the haze off and then go back over with the old t shirt rag to finish it off.

"A wax/sealant shouldn't require a coarse cloth to be removed. It would induce swirls."

It doesn't require it, it just seems to make it easier as it keeps from loading up as much, I guess like the open weave sandpaper for drywall. With a t shirt you just need to use a fresh side more often.

With the stuff (NXT, Synwax, 4* UPP,Meg's #26, PB's Natty's, TW Platinum) that I use, a soft microfiber can usually remove the product without much effort.

Mothers and TW have always been super easy to remove but NXT? I was going to get the chisle when I applied it way to thick. The paste is extremely soft in the tin so you have to just dab the applicator and apply.

I have never used NXT but from what I read you need to apply to a cool surface and apply very thinly. Do not let it sit very long on the paint once it passes the "swipe" test. I think a foam applicator is best for applying waxes thinly (as opposed to a mf applicator).

It's not a wax. It doesn't come off like a wax. You probably want to use some type of cleaner/remover product. Most of the major wax manufacturers have a pre-wax cleaner designed to strip off old wax, dirt, oxidation, etc. That plus any mild polish swirl remover/glaze should get you prepped again for a fresh waxing.

I will say I do kind of like the look of NuFinish plus a wax top layer. It's not as mirror-like reflecting everything in sight but has a good shine to it. As long as the stuff lasts a while, I should be able to just apply a fresh coat of wax over the stuff every couple months and do well.

I just can't see using NuFinish alone though. It just doesn't do anything other than seal. You need a seperate cleaner, a seperate swirl/scratch remover/filler, and a seperate top coat (unless you don't want a wet/shine type of finish). I just hope it lasts a long time. If so, I don't mind including it in a multi-step process as a good sealer. As a stand-alone product, there are just better things out there, like a variety of cleaner waxes that do offer some cleaning ability, filler, and shine.

Originally Posted By: mvw2
I just can't see using NuFinish alone though. It just doesn't do anything other than seal. You need a seperate cleaner, a seperate swirl/scratch remover/filler, and a seperate top coat (unless you don't want a wet/shine type of finish). I just hope it lasts a long time. If so, I don't mind including it in a multi-step process as a good sealer. As a stand-alone product, there are just better things out there, like a variety of cleaner waxes that do offer some cleaning ability, filler, and shine.

Like what?

I'll admit, I'm interested. I just don't seem to have any desire to devote the time to do use anything more than a one-step! (Even though at times I can't resist buying the latest flavor of the week in auto-appearance). What I'm looking for would:

1. require only 1 application;
2. go on easy, come off easy, no power tools;
3. not stain any trim/plastic (no taping/preparation required);
4. provide a good finish that lasts a long time.

This might be the holy grail, but given those requirements and not overly high expectations as to quality of finish, peoples thoughts would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim 5

Like what?

I'll admit, I'm interested. I just don't seem to have any desire to devote the time to do use anything more than a one-step! (Even though at times I can't resist buying the latest flavor of the week in auto-appearance). What I'm looking for would:

1. require only 1 application;
2. go on easy, come off easy, no power tools;
3. not stain any trim/plastic (no taping/preparation required);
4. provide a good finish that lasts a long time.

This might be the holy grail, but given those requirements and not overly high expectations as to quality of finish, peoples thoughts would be appreciated!

Collinite 476s
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: john1782

Collinite 476s

As luck would have it I ordered some online just 2 days ago. Can't wait to try it!

One step products are "cleaner waxes." They're basically waxes that incorporate light cleaning/polishing types of actions to try and give more of a total one step job.

The best route is to go through all the steps though. You sort of have to address all the different aspects that influence the overall process and final result.

Collinite 476s is a well loved wax. I don't think it's a cleaner wax though, so any dirt and swirl marks will still be sitting there when you coat over them. This is why you do other steps.

Wash - clean off the major [censored]
Bug off - mild acid generally, gets ride of what washing can't
Clay bar - it's clay, safely pulls dirt/debris from paint, dirt sticks to it
Prewax cleaner - remove old wax, oxidation, dirt, etc.
Polish - gets rid of large scratches
Swirl remover - gets ride of small scratches and swirl marks
Glaze - filler, fills scratches and swirl marks
Cleaner wax - some cleaning agents plus wax
Pure wax - just wax, pure and simple
Sealant - synthetic product, contains no waxes

The goal is to combine the range of products to treat and protect the paint. In the most basic form, you simply wash and coat with a wax. You can use a plain wax, but a cleaner wax does more things.

I personally like to go through the steps, at least some to take care of all the major issues. In the end, you just get a better result. As well, it's not like you have to do all these steps every time. The prewax cleaner can be done once a year to strip old wax or prep a dirty, oxidized surface (great for rubber parts too). Polish and swirl remover are "as needed" type of products. A glaze can be used pretty much all the time as it can fill in and hide problem areas rather than strip away some of the clear coat. Sealers and waxes can be interchangable in the sense that both work towards the same end.

One step products are "cleaner waxes." They're basically waxes that incorporate light cleaning/polishing types of actions to try and give more of a total one step job.

The best route is to go through all the steps though. You sort of have to address all the different aspects that influence the overall process and final result.

Collinite 476s is a well loved wax. I don't think it's a cleaner wax though, so any dirt and swirl marks will still be sitting there when you coat over them. This is why you do other steps.

The goal is to combine the range of products to treat and protect the paint. In the most basic form, you simply wash and coat with a wax. You can use a plain wax, but a cleaner wax does more things.

I personally like to go through the steps, at least some to take care of all the major issues. In the end, you just get a better result. As well, it's not like you have to do all these steps every time. The prewax cleaner can be done once a year to strip old wax or prep a dirty, oxidized surface (great for rubber parts too). Polish and swirl remover are "as needed" type of products. A glaze can be used pretty much all the time as it can fill in and hide problem areas rather than strip away some of the clear coat. Sealers and waxes can be interchangable in the sense that both work towards the same end.

I don't know if your steps were listed in order but some are either redundant or out of order.

Yeah that's a whole lotta steps. If you use good products you should be able to keep it to just wash, clay, polish and wax. If the surface is especially bad I'll use a heavier cut polish then swirl remover.

Go mention nufinish on autopia.org and get ready be be flamed big time. Reason being is its junk plain and simple. Its fine for somebody that wants something simple but doesnt care about getting the best look possible but even then I wouldnt use it on my cars even if you paid me to. I have been detailing for years and have used thousands of products including nufinish so dont come in here and try to tell me I dont know what I am talking about.

This is my race car with 2 coats of zaino Z2 topped with a coat of p21s wax.

CamaroFrontAngle-3.jpg

My fiances car that I polished with menzerna intensive polish then with Menzerna final polish then sealed with Mothers Reflections synthetic wax. The mothers reflections is the best over the counter sealant money can buy. Duragloss is also very good.

G35X-Bestpic.jpg

Here is my daily driver wearing mothers reflections. Lighting was not good so you really cant tell anything from this pic.

99SSwithnewwheels003.jpg

Last edited:

In order this list is not.

Last edited:
ProStreet: I agree Mothers Reflections is the best OTC you can buy I think it blows away Z5 and Z2. I love P21S so easy too use and great results esp. on dark colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back