Oil for 1999 Dodge Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.2L Magnum 4X4 with 134,382 miles and just bought it 2 months ago. It needs an oil change but don't know what oil to use, I was thing of using Mobil 1 High Milage 10W-30, Mobil 1 5W-30 Truck & SUV, or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30/10W-30.

P.S. I live in Alaska,does it matter what weight I use due to cold climate.

Well, if it is not leaking at all then I would go with Pennzoil YB 10w30 as the grade would work fine for your location as well. No real need to use the HM unless you have leaks.

How often do you change oil and how often was it changed before you got the truck, are there any service records? Will you be changing again before winter sets in?

I would use a 5W-30 for your climate, I know here once it gets to -10 even a conventional 5W-30 is unhappy without a block heater.

The extended performance synthetic would be good for changing once annually/every 15,000 miles and in 5W-30 would offer you great unaided starts in the winter.

In winter, if you have a block heater (I would imagine you do) once temperatures get below -15 or so, I would plug in and just use a good conventional name brand 5W-30 like Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil Clean 5000, etc.

Until temperatures get below 0F, a 10W-30 is acceptable.

The easy bet is probably Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and changing it every 5000 miles.

If there are no leaks and it's a well serviced engine, I would not worry about putting 0W-30 in it at all.

Pennzoil Platinum shows less iron wear for camshafts but I am of the opinion that it is fairly equal to Mobil 1 when changed at a 7500 mile or less interval. Both are good oils, the Platinum is less expensive, the Mobil 1 beats it for cold weather performance.

0W oils are good down to -40, 5W synthetics -30, 10W synthetics are probably good down to -20. Summer heat is not an issue there so I would not go higher than an XW-30

In summer, a 5W-30 or 10W-30 conventional will be fine, in winter a 5W-30 conventional with a block heater or a 5W-30 or 0W-30 synthetic will be the way to go.

Originally Posted By: TedSexington
Is 0W-30 good for a Durango with 134,XXX miles and is it good for alaska weather? Also is PP superior to Mobil 1?

I called and asked Mobil and Pennzoil if running a 0w-30 in an older vehicle spec'ed for 5W-30, with high miles was a good idea. They both said that leaking could be an issue and advised against it. A lot of BOTOG'ers are using it with great success. As far as PP being superior to Mobil 1, its probably a coin toss.

Frank D

I lived in Fairbanks for 3 years and installed more block, battery, oil pan/transmission pan heaters...
Anyway if you spend much time in Alaska's interior during winter the 0W-30 would be my first choice as long as consumption was reasonable and it didn't develop leaks. It was very common for folks to let their cars warm-up for ten minutes before driving and to leave them running while shopping in Fairbanks. If that applies I would change it every 6 months.

Saw that in your location info.
That is why I said if you spend much time in the interior during winter...

By the way
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back