Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with these? I'm thinking about putting these on a '04 Infiniti G35 (Size: 215/55/17) and '99 Nissan Maxima SE (Size: 215/55/16).

These would be used when there is no snow on the ground as I have dedicated wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires to be used in the winter for each vehicle.

I'm looking for a quiet ride, strong side wall, with minimum sidewall flex, excellent dry and wet grip and if possible, long lasting tread life.

The vehicles are driven in Maryland.

I'm also compared these to Yokohama V4S & Toyo Proxes TPT. I was wondering how they hold up against them. Anyone have recommendations for other tires that are excellent and compare well to the Pilot Sport A/S?

Thanks

Last edited:
i had them on a grand marquis in 225/60/16 and my mustang in 275/40/17. they are a good street tire, however they gave up when pushed hard. by pushed hard i mean at Buttonwillow about 25 mins into a hard hotlap session, and they would be screaming coming out of a fast sweeper at 120+. they also liked to flatspot when i would press too hard on the brake on the mustang, i had brembo 4 piston calipers with no ABS.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
they also liked to flatspot when i would press too hard on the brake on the mustang, i had brembo 4 piston calipers with no ABS.

Technically that's not flatspotting but rather uneven wear caused by locking up the brakes/wheels.

I run these.

They're great tires.

The design is starting to show its age, but I'd still buy them as they perform wonderfully year round and are Michelin quality all the way.

But if you already have dedicated winter rubber, you might do better with a max performance summer tire.

I may do better with a max performance summer tire but from what I understand, I would be giving up tread life as these typically last less than all season compound. I'm trying to see if spending a lot of money on tires (Michelin) is the right way to go. Perhaps I can get similar performance and longevity for less money with Yokohama, Avon, Kumho, Toyo, or Bridgestone.

Last edited:
Everything is a trade-off with tires.

Depends on what you want more: performance, treadlife, or comfort.

I've never gone wrong with Michelins, but you pay dearly for the privilege.

I'd look at something a little more comfortable on the Maxima than a UHP or summer only tire.

This spring, I narrowed my choice of new tires for my GTO down to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position.

I have had a lot of Michelin tires and, except for the U.S. Grand Prix debacle, think Michelin is about as good as you get with tires.

I bought the Bridgestone Potenzas. No one had the Sport Pilot A/S in stock. It was always "we can have some in a few days" or similar. I didn't want to be stuck somewhere waiting a few days for an uncommon tire in the event of road damage.

The Potenza's are smooth and quiet. I avoid driving the GTO in the rain, so I can't comment on their wet performance but they look like they can pump a lot of water. I expect to get at least 20K miles out of them.

The Bridgestone road hazard service is great. When I picked up a nail on the second long trip I took on the tires, the Firestone dealer found all my info in the computer, and had a new tire mounted in a few hours, no charge, no questions asked.

When I have to replace the tires on my wife's Jaguar, I will probably get a set of Bridgestone's for it, rather than Michelin, as I would have done before I got these Potenza's.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

I'd look at something a little more comfortable on the Maxima than a UHP or summer only tire.

The Maxima is the SE variant that comes from the factory with firmer springs. I am also adding a rear sway bar to the mix to aid in keeping it a bit more flat in turns. In reality my tire choices for the Maxima are similar to the G35 so a more comfortable tire is really not needed. In the winter the Blizzak WS-50 will be as comfortable as I will ever want to be in that car with their very soft rubber characteristics.

I ran Michelin Pilot Primacy for six summers from new until they wore out. No complaints... smooth ride, good grip, no shimmy. They lasted 30K miles (200 treadwear rating).

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I'm looking for a quiet ride, strong side wall, with minimum sidewall flex, excellent dry and wet grip and if possible, long lasting tread life.

I think they meet your criteria. I've had them on my Mazda3 for a couple of years now and I have no complaints. Best (and most expensive) tires I've owned.

Speaking of tread life on these, at the last state inspection mine were "down" to 10/32 after 8100 miles. Not bad.

Looks like I will be adding the Yokohama ADVAN S.4. to the list as well.

Any experiences with these when compared to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S?

You might also consider the Pirelli Nero M&S... cheaper with the performance characteristics you're looking for and should be good for 30-40k under normal driving. I've never had a UHP tire be worth more than that.

Originally Posted By: Win
This spring, I narrowed my choice of new tires for my GTO down to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position.

I have had a lot of Michelin tires and, except for the U.S. Grand Prix debacle, think Michelin is about as good as you get with tires.

I bought the Bridgestone Potenzas. No one had the Sport Pilot A/S in stock. It was always "we can have some in a few days" or similar. I didn't want to be stuck somewhere waiting a few days for an uncommon tire in the event of road damage.

The Potenza's are smooth and quiet. I avoid driving the GTO in the rain, so I can't comment on their wet performance but they look like they can pump a lot of water. I expect to get at least 20K miles out of them.

The Bridgestone road hazard service is great. When I picked up a nail on the second long trip I took on the tires, the Firestone dealer found all my info in the computer, and had a new tire mounted in a few hours, no charge, no questions asked.

When I have to replace the tires on my wife's Jaguar, I will probably get a set of Bridgestone's for it, rather than Michelin, as I would have done before I got these Potenza's.

I've got those too. Bought them at an independent tire shop for my 2004 WRX. I've got about 20K miles on them and I think they still have enough tread to qualify for California "snow tread" status after one rotation. My torture test for them was my 2007 trip to Yosemite National Park and back. They handled snow nicely, although I did slide once taking a turn too fast; I was going 20 MPH when 10 MPH was more appropriate for the conditions. Took out a piled snow-bank, and a park ranger later joked (when I told him) that I had to pay for damaging Park Service property. I had fun trying to drive through a snow pile deposited by a plow; nothing quite like spinning through loose snow. On the way home (taking the scenic route) I went through a very rainy Highway 49 from Mariposa to Sonora. That road has some prime twisties which those tires handled nicely in the rain.

I was going to get them at a Firestone service center. They had a buy three, get one free special. I came in for an alignment (lifetime) on a Sunday and they noted I needed new tires, which was pretty obvious after they showed me the interior shoulder wear on my set of Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S (don't **ever** take them in anything more than light snow). The weekend manager said he locked my name in the computer system and I should be able to get that deal on Monday if I talked to the weekday manager. So I get there, ask for the deal, and the weekday manager says I can't get that deal unless I **paid** for them in advance. So I get ticked off and have them ordered from a local independent tire shop. The tires took over a week to arrive, and I also need a repair of a nail almost at the sidewall (most tire shops won't touch that repair). He gives me a discount on the repair and says it shouldn't be a problem if I get new tires in less than a month. I've brought my business back to that Firestone shop; it was just a temporary disgust with the manager.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
You might also consider the Pirelli Nero M&S... cheaper with the performance characteristics you're looking for and should be good for 30-40k under normal driving. I've never had a UHP tire be worth more than that.

They're horrible in the snow compared to most comparable A/S tires. No siping whatsoever; the tread pattern is identical to the 3-season version. Really nice when dry or wet. I had maybe 18K on mine when I had them replaced due to accelerated interior shoulder wear (the tread is non-directional asymmetric). I'm not 100% sure why, although the previous alignments had toe readings (in opposite directions) that were near the edge of factory specs and the Firestone shop wouldn't adjust it (with my lifetime alignment) since it was still in spec. Since then I've gotten new alignments and they adjusted to the centered range after the toe went out of spec.

I got a pair of the Pilots on the way.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/Tire...e1=yes&place=56

Not exactly a pair, but I got one from a single tire clousout on EBay $79 shipped, 1/2 off, and the other thru an adjustment I have a TR, 50% off two tires (I only used one of my credits).

So for $150 I have two of them. I was looking for an expensive tire to use my credit up with. My 1st choice was Turanza Serenity. (fwiw, I see a LOT of negative reviews about Bridgestone RE960s) The Mich Pilots still review well and are class-competetive. I don't ever remember buying Mich new since some old MXVs way back when.

I hope I'll be happy with them on my Accord Coupe, there are so many choices. I might be cutting down on my driving a lot, so I'll have them for a while. Like I said before, if you drive a lot and tear thru tires constantly (a set every year or so) go ahead and buy cheap and try new ones when they come out. If you don't like them get something else next time. If you keep tires 3-4-5 years, go ahead and spend some money on a nice ones that will work well a few years old.

I have my Hankook IB400 snows on now for at least the next month and will chime in after I get rolling on the Pilots in spring. fwiw, I'll have them back off mid-summer in favour of some old worn "smokers".

I think the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is a better choice. It's a newer design and is vastly superior to the original Pilot Sport A/S.

Vastly superior might be overstating it just a bit.

The old PS A/S is still a superb tire by today's standards.

But if one can get the Plus version for around the same price, one should do so.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It's a newer design and is vastly superior to the original Pilot Sport A/S.

What changed, and how do you know it's better? As an owner of the vastly inferior version, I'm curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back