Redline Engine break-in additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glennc
Originally Posted By: Taylor
Chemical analysis by ASTM D-5185 ICP of Cam-shield(TM) will
indicate Zinc at 88,000 ppm

Is that even possible? What is the molecular weight of ZDDP and other zinc-containing AW additives? Can it be that there is so much of it in a liquid additive that the elemental zinc by itself is 9% by weight of the total?

Look at Bruce's posts above.

Okay then, what you have here is almost pure, "pourable" ZDDP. I guess if you want zinc, and only zinc, that would be a good way to get it.

Well if a quality assembly lube is used for the first start and 20 minute run in above 2000RPMs you should not need much more then what a good Basic HDDEO has in it like a 10W30 or 15W40 from Delvac,Delo or Rotella. If one wanted after the 20 minute run in just add a quart or two of Redline oil to your HDDEO and the additives already in the Redline would increase the additve package of the rest of the oil. So lets say you engine holds 6 quarts. 1 gallon of Delvac1300 Super 15W40+2 quarts of Redline 5W20(it has the most molly of any oil on the planet and plenty of calcium,born and ZDDP as well)and call it good! You have now an instant break in oil that will kick arse and take names with out haveing to go the additive route. A bonus you will be getting a little bit of ester in with your GII dino so solvency will not be an issue at all, metal wetting will not be an issues either!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Redline 5W20(it has the most molly of any oil on the planet and plenty of calcium,born and ZDDP as well)

More than their other weight street oils, or the same???

Do you also have flat tappet cams with high spring pressures? And did you do the initial 20 min break in, as well as the 500 mi? or did you buy those vehicles off the lot? 450,000 mi thats a lot for a new vehicle must drive a lot. And if you look up a lil bit you'll see values of crane cams super lube which is even higher than cam-shield.
Also cams are not the only part of the motor that needs to be broken in, other parts of the motor dont benefit from super high values of ZDDP as do cams. Thats why you have to have balance and I believe this RL add to be the answer, sent off a sample today for VOA. Plus it has a ester base...

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Redline 5W20(it has the most molly of any oil on the planet and plenty of calcium,born and ZDDP as well)

More than their other weight street oils, or the same???

Not more than their race oil. Their 2WT race oil has over 1000 ppm of moly if not closer to 1500 ppm.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
redlines race oils has the same as their street oil of moly and that is 950ppm..their race oils have 2400 ppm zinc compared to their street oil which is 1350ppm.

There are no 2WT and 5WT street oils from Redline. These ultra light weight oils are special order for NHRA Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle. All my UOAs from my race bike show above 1400ppm of moly.

i have no doubt. but every voa on here shows consistant moly of about 580ppm (strret oil) and yet redline says they use 950ppm in all their oils all this probably has been changed since i talked to dave...

John
1. why not just use straight RL?
2. think about the cold flow properties of a 15w40, now think about that in the first minutes of your expensive high performance motor b/c the oils hardly going to get up to temp in that time frame.
3. the assembly lube is going to be drained after the 20 min run, so what next?

I'd prefer to use a 0w30 or 0w40 and "boost" the levels sightly, and have the best cold flow properties available. And keep the overall price down, compared to straight RL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back