odd story of car/cyclist confrontation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I know that street and it is narrow and lots of people walking and biking etc. Most bikers in portland are in one of two camps I have found:

(1) respectful (probably like yates), or

(2) disrespectful, type A are arrogant and believe cars should get out of their way, ride in car lane even though there is a bike lane etc., type B are idiots who just blatently disobey every road law.

I would guess based on what I have seen that about 80% are in the respectful category and 20% in the disrespectful. The vast majority of bikers here are nice people and are very respectful. I see them every day.

I both ride and drive but being a true motorhead I am definately biased towards cars and when I ride my bike I do it on no-traffic streets and assume no car can see me or will stop for me.

Wow. That guy on the bike does not deserve to be called a cyclist. He's a disgrace to those of us who obey the laws and have to deal with motorists who are not used to sharing the road with bicycles.

Yates did the right thing in looking out for everybody's interests and not only his own. That guy who assaulted him deserves everything he has coming.

Does this Yates guy go out of his way to chide motorists too?

It seems to mr he's decided he's a self appointed cyclist NANNY!

Very similar incident in Seattle this weekend.

I don't get this bike superiority mentality - sure folks ride bikes, doesn't make you a better user of the public roads. My neighbor has this mentality: "NEVER yield the white line". I just said "never is a strong word" and left it at that.

Heck, I'll gladly yield when road conditions, my speed and direction of travel let me do so. Which is a fair bit of the time.

Then again, some people have the hardest time understanding why I'm going straight in the rightmost going-straight lane when the right-turn lane is open a lane further to the right. Maybe because I'm going straight, not turning right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back