I have a T1 line in my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's right, I have a T1 line in my house. It's a very short T1 line, however. About 40 feet long. It goes from one Cisco 2524 to another Cisco 2524 (both Ciscos have internal T1 CSU/DSUs).

I set this up because I need to be able to test ACLs BEFORE I put them on the customer's router. (Why I'm using my personal equipment for this, when I should have what I need to do it at work but don't, is another topic entirely).

The Cisco 2500s are pretty cheap these days, I guess because they can't run IOS 12(4). I like the ones with the built in T1 CSU/DSU because it saves space and they're not much more expensive than the ones without.

Nice! I had a couple Cisco switches with FDDI modules in them here recently, but they are since gone. Didn't have a chance to setup anything fun with them.... though it was tempting.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
The Cisco 2500s are pretty cheap these days, I guess because they can't run IOS 12(4). I like the ones with the built in T1 CSU/DSU because it saves space and they're not much more expensive than the ones without.

It's always the IOS that are so friggen expensive... Otherwise I'd run one of 'em.

If you buy a used Cisco router it will almost certainly have an IOS on it, though it may be an old one. You can save the IOS from one router and load it onto another as long as they are the same model (and have enough memory).

Originally Posted By: brianl703
If you buy a used Cisco router it will almost certainly have an IOS on it, though it may be an old one. You can save the IOS from one router and load it onto another as long as they are the same model (and have enough memory).

I know with the switches, I have always been able to download the most recent version of IOS for them directly from Cisco..........

You need a support contract to get newer releases of IOS, at least for routers. From Cisco anyway. If you do a Google search you can probably find a link to IOS images for the smaller routers like the 2500s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back