Apple iMac, $1099 from NewEgg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that today. The Mac I paid $60 for does everything I need. Seemed like the New Egg Apple could be a good computer for someone.

I bet if apple computers were similar prices to windows computers. apple would grab a bigger market share

Depends what you do.

You can get a dell with a dual core intel processor and windows for 400 bucks with a 19 inch flat monitor.

Check slickdeals.net and techbargains.com

Its not worth 600 extra to me, I just do mostly websurfing.

Before you buy that iMac at NewEgg you might want to check MacMall. They are selling iMacs for $1019.00. They are also selling MacPros for about $2100.00-$2200.00 (without monitor) which is actually a lot below what the price used to be for them. I think it used to be something like $2600.00-$2800.00 (no monitor).

I look at it this way-Windows computers are kind of in the middle (the sweet spot). Sure you can use Linux on a low powered Windows type computer but unless you can run Windows XP on that Linux computer how useful is it? Depends on what you want to do.

Apple Computers tend to be more expensive than Windows computers that can essentially do the same thing.

I remember when I saw a Windows computer advertised (new-I think it was an HP) for about $900.00. That price INCLUDED the Adobe Creative Suite which separately would probably cost about $1000.00. So basically if you wanted the Creative Suite you could buy this computer and for all practical purposes get the computer free and the Creative Suite for $100.00 less. Is that a deal or what? How many times can you get the Adobe Creative Suite included for free with a new Apple Computer?

Sure Vista requires a more powerful computer than Linux but that Windows computer is still cheap compared to a MacPro-unless you buy a top of the line Windows gaming computer.

What about security? Visit the Secunia website and check out how many security holes were found (and sometimes not patched) in Linux, Unix, and MacOS X compared to Windows XP and Vista.

So how come the Linux servers are not attacked? Usually the bad guys want to keep the servers operational unless they want to bring down a website, deface a website, extort money from a website, or they are terrorists trying to bring down the internet. They want to attack the desktop computers behind the servers. Linux is less than 1% of those desktop computers behind the servers so really-who cares?

Worldwide Mac OS X is only about 3% of the desktop computers so the bad guys probably really do not care. They want to make money and they do that by attacking large numbers of computers. Windows is over 90% on desktop computers.

A person can buy a very nice Windows computer for $1000.00 or less-definitely less if you already have a monitor. An iMac is nice (I have one myself) but economically the Windows computer is cheaper, just as capable, and more compatible. Things like being able to upgrade a computer, whether you like an all-in-one computer with monitor included or not, etc., also enter into the equation.

At this point I plan on continuing to run my iMac until it is done and probably going with Windows after that. It makes no sense to me to run a more expensive computer when a cheaper computer can do the same job.

I have no love affair with any O/S. If Linux could do the same as Windows and was compatible with printers and scanners I would go with Linux. Let me know when Linux equals Windows in software and hardware compatibility.

I like the iMac. It is a nice little computer. But actually I still prefer a separate monitor. When it comes to the MacPro there is no way I am going to pay over $2000.00 for a computer when a $1000.00 or less computer can do the same job-and be more compatible although of course you can run Windows XP also on a Mac.

I like both Windows and the Mac but Windows runs on cheaper computers.

Basically the same deal with me-I ran my 333 mhz G3 iMac into the ground (1999-2008). Still did most of what I wanted it to do. But I would point out, back in the day when I got it, it would run Adobe products at least twice as fast as Windows PC's with double the RAM and processor speed. I don't know how they compare now that they are both Intel-based, though.....

But when it came time to buy a new machine, a $599 Vaio with $50 or so spent on extra RAM was a much better deal for me than a $1100 Macbook. Of course, now that I switch back to Windows, Mac starts gaining market..... I don't see why, either, I have yet to have a problem with Vista....

Yes, I agree with you. In the past you just about had to have a Mac to do good photo editing on a computer. Everybody seriously involved with computer graphics was mostly using Macs.

Today it is a different story. In fact, some people have pointed out that Adobe seems to often release Windows compatible versions of its software before it releases the Mac versions.

Without question a person can do the same things today on a Windows computer that used to require a Mac. And with Macs costing more it gets harder and harder to justify the greater price of the Mac.

When the new Mac Pros desktop computers came out I think they cost something like $2600.00 (no monitor) if I remember correctly. Now you can buy one from MacMall for about $2200.00. I think they kind of priced themselves out of the market and had to come back down. That is my opinion.

A person could buy a $1500.00 desktop Windows computer and do everything the Mac can do. It is kind of pointless to pay the extra money for the Mac.

I also can't see a thing wrong with Vista. It works fine for me. All of these people hoping that Windows 7 will somehow be a radical departure from Vista are probably wrong. Microsoft will surely build on Vista's foundations. There are a lot of improvements to Vista that would be nice but I think it is unlikely that Microsoft is suddenly going to put a Windows GUI on top of FreeBSD. Or abandon Windows for Linux.

Like you point out you were able to buy a Windows Vaio for about half what a MacBook would have cost. And that is not even the MacPro laptop computer.

The market for Apple is going up (in the USA) but I think there is a limit how far that can continue unless the prices for Macs drops. Not everybody in the world can afford to pay $2200.00 for a computer without a monitor. And as far as computers are concerned a $1500.00 Windows computer is probably about the equal of a $2200.00 Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back