Oil for a Ssangyong Actyon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloke at work bought one of these recently.

Very happy with a 2 litre DI turbodiesel intercooled 4WD...34MPG US, and coming up for his first service.

http://www.ssangyongaustralia.com.au/actyon_specifications.html

Was asking on what oil to use...and it looks like he's in the same boat as my Nissan...traditional diesel engine oils not recommended.

SSanyong are telling him the use SSanyong 15W-40, "meeting MB****" (I'll know what the **** is tomorrow when he brings the owner's manual in tomorrow)...but being allegedly a Merc based diesel, and out of the US, it's probably 229.3 or 229.5. OCIs are 10,00km.

Anyway, the majors are suggesting
M1 0W-40 (229.3, and 229.5) - he doesn't want $120 oil changes, so he rejected that.
Mobil SUPER 3000 X2 5W-40 (229.3) - haven't heard of it before, but -42 PP, and 1" S.A. look OK.
MOBIL FORMULA X2 5W-40 (229.3) - haven't heard of that before either, apparently "available mid 2008" -42C PP)

Castrol SLX Professional Longtech 0W-30, (229.3, and 229.5) -54C PP, TBN 10.3 "meets performance of SM, except exceeds Phosphorous...being "professional", usually only available in larger quantities.
Castrol Magnatec 10W-40...no mention of MB specs, but seems to hang off the B3 spec...Castrol would recommend this oil from your mower to the space shuttle.
Castrol GTX3 MODERN ENGINE 15W-40 (229.1).

Caltex Havoline SM 5W-40 (229.51 - pending)

BP Visco 5000 5W-40 (229.1)

Are the new super DI engines that clean that oils more resembling PCMOs are useful ?

Or are the PCMO and HDEOs coming together ?

Why won't D-1 work in these engines ?

1) No idea...I understand Ssangyong has a lubes division, maybe they make it...the Koreans are reverse engineering all sorts of stuff at present.
2) No idea.
3) The dealer that he bought the car off is about 90 miles away...he/I will ring them tomorrow after he brings his manual in.

I found it interesting that Ssanyong oil was 15W-40, while all the oil people (except Castrol) only recommended synths...unless the Ssangyong product is a VII free straight 40, in which case I might consider buying it.

Do you know what the recommended OCI is on that vehicle? I always find it interesting that someone will pay $30K for a vehicle but they won't pay the money for a top quality product like Mobil 1 0W-40.

How long have they been selling that brand down under. I looked them up on the net and it appears they have been in financial trouble more than once.

Ssangyong is sold here too. Use MB diesel engines (not the latest design). MB 229.3 oil should be ok for short OCI (not more than 10k km).

Last edited:
Hi,
Shannow _ If you wish to recomend a Mobil product then these will do very well indeed;

Mobil Super 3000 5W-40 (New to OZ but Porsche Approved to 2010)
Delvac 1 5W-40 (or ESP if available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back