Nissan Altima 2.5 questions/concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone on here own a Nissan with the qr25de motor? My fiance has an 06 Altima and she has had this problem happen about 4 times within the time of owning the vehicle(since new).

The vehicle will crank VERY VERY slow, it takes quite a few times of trying & waiting a few mins before it starts. This past weekend it did it again but this time it was turning over normal except it wouldn't fire up. I kept cranking it for a few seconds & then gave it a little gas & it FINALLY turned on!!
mad.gif

This time I was quite concerned because smoke came out of the exhaust (blue) for a few seconds. We've been driving it around since then but not a single sign of smoke. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also does anyone know how many qts of motor oil the 2.5 takes? Thanks!

Last edited:
I have an 04 Altima with the 2.5 and have not had this problem. Does the check engine light come on when this happens? The 06 should still be under warranty. Maybe you should bring it back to the dealer. Any codes should be stored in the computer and they might know of this problem.

Also I think I read where the was some kind of problem with the piston rings on the 06 2.5 and Nissan recommended checking the oil frequently. I don't know if there was a solution to this. The blue smoke reminded me of this. Good luck.

No check engine lights, the dipstick was to the top of the hash marks. The car still has the power-train warranty to 100,000 miles since hers was re-called (but was found to have no oil consumption problems).

We'll be taking it in sometime next week to get it looked at.

Last edited:
Start with the easy stuff. Does she get gas at the same place everytime? Go to Shell(v-power) or another top tier place and put the good stuff in. Maybe some things are gummed up and need cleaning. Just an idea...

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Start with the easy stuff. Does she get gas at the same place everytime? Go to Shell(v-power) or another top tier place and put the good stuff in. Maybe some things are gummed up and need cleaning. Just an idea...

We pump at different places but only pump at Shell, Exxon/Mobil, or Chevron gas stations. I may try some techron fuel injector cleaner to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be a dirty throttle body causing the hard start but that wouldn't have anything to do with a slow turnover.

Sounds like you have 2 problems.

I had an '04 Spec V with the 2.5 engine. Loved it.

This morning when we got in the car and she started it, it sounded like it was cranking a bit slower than usual. The only other thing I can think of is that the battery is going bad.

I'm probably going to pull the spark plugs and see what they look like as well.

Last edited:
If you suspect the battery is going bad, head to an Autozone or Advance Auto, and they will load test your battery for free.

Since you live in Texas, the intense heat has probably shortened the life of your battery. Underhood batteries in year round heat rarely live more than 3 years.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
why mess with a car under warranty...just take it in...

Because its a very random situation & more than likely will not duplicate when it sits at the dealer(also no CEL). Also its not burning any oil (dipstick full) & it hasn't smoked again so they are going to say "we can't find any issues with the car".

I already know it'll be a waste of my time unless it does any of the things I mentionted above DURING the time its a the dealership.

I may get a buddy of mine to do a compression test and see if that brings up a red flag.

Last edited:
I have an 04 Altima 2.5 S and no problems yet! Although there were 3 recalls on mine. 1) Intake manifold screw needed replacing. Could come loose and lodge in the engine. 2) Cam sensor timing needed recoading. If not done it could cause stalling or hard starting. 3) Rear aluminum sub frame needed inspection for welds due to rust in the salt states.

I may not be quite accurate in my explinations of the recalls but, it goes something like that.

FrankD is correct,

Some '06 Nissan Altima and Sentra SE-R's with the QR25DE motors had oil consumption issues due to 'improper specification piston rings'. This was covered under a NHTSA safety recall:

NHTSA recall #06V223000

I'm not sure if this is related to your 2006 Altima, but it's a possibility.

BTW, the redesigned 2nd gen QR25DE did not appear until the 2007 model year starting with the 2007 Altima and Sentra.

Last edited:
There were other Nissan service bulletins related to no start/hard start issues:

From Nissan Tech Info:
Quote:

NTB04-004 No start after cold soak.
IF YOU CONFIRM - After a 'cold soak',* the engine cranks (turns with starter), but does not start. *Cold soak:Engine has cooled down to ambient (outside) temperature, regardless of summer or winter seasonal variations. - The engine may start if it is cranked for an extended period (more than 5 seconds) or if the throttle is opened during cranking. - After starting and operating for a few minutes the engine runs normally. ACTIONS - Replace the starter motor. - Add 1 can of Nissan Fuel System Cleaner into the fuel tank. - Perform ECM Part Number Check to see if the vehicle you are working on needs ECM Reprogramming. - Perform ECM Reprogramming, if needed. See this bulletin for further detail.

The ECU reprogramming may also be covered under warranty by a seperate tech service bulletin:

Quote:

NTB07081: CP 2002, 2005, 2006 Altima/Sentra ECM Reprogram (2.5L) - Voluntary Recall C

Nissan has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 2002 and 2005-2006 model year Nissan Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine. On some of these vehicles there is a possibility that the enginemight stop running while being driven due to the program in the Electronic Control Module (engine computer). If the engine stops running while driving, this could result in a crash without warning. To prevent this potential condition, Nissan is conduct ing a Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign to reprogram the Electronic Control Module. See this bulletin for further detail.

Sorry, I do not have the full bulletins.

My '03 Altima suffered from a sporadic no start/hard start issue. I used the procedure in the owners manual for 'clearing a flooded engine'... basically hold the accelerator down and crank. It eventually started and blew a puff of dark smoke... a result of the excess fuel/flooding. The problem was cured when the dealer reprogrammed the ECU to the latest software.

Another thought of course is a weak battery. The factory battery on mine always had this problem from the first winter I drove it. Dealer replaced the battery under warranty and it seemed to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back