Castrol Synthetic Blend 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about this stuff? I stopped using PP 5W-20 due to cost (I cant get the Castrol stuff for less)and have been running this in my 07 Oddyssey. Seems to be good oil.

If cost was too high for PP, did you consider just running it longer to get more use out of it? Otherwise, you made an intelligent move.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
If cost was too high for PP, did you consider just running it longer to get more use out of it? Otherwise, you made an intelligent move.

One thing I noticed with the PP was the smell of excess sulfur upon hard acceleration. I have not noticed this at all with the Castrol Synblend. Any idea what would cause that?

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
Why 5W-30 in a Honda?

Uh... cause I want too. I've noticed no drop in fuel economy at all, and the extra viscosity makes me feel better. Could you answer my previous question please?

Last edited:
I've been impressed with Castrol's oils, even their GTX conventional is performing very well on 5k mile runs …

UOA 5268 miles and the TBN was 4.32, so the oil was good for quite a bit longer.

5k miles GTX UOA TBN 2.0.

Given the synthetic-blend is better than the GTX, it should be a very good oil. I wouldn't hesitate to run it.

I also like the extra viscosity protection afforded by 5W-30's over the 20 wts.
55.gif

When they first came out with it I tried some by accident the wife picked it up by accident thinking it was full synthetic on sale. She then lost the reciept. So I was stuck with a case of it. I tried it in my 4Runner and my Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8 and both vechiles drank it like a fat kid eats cake!!! As soon as I changed back to M1 they both stoped consumeing oil. So I have never tried it since then.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
When they first came out with it I tried some by accident the wife picked it up by accident thinking it was full synthetic on sale. She then lost the reciept.

Whoa. Your wife actually buys oil for you?? Who cares if it isn't exactly what you wanted.
grin2.gif

She's a keeper!
thumbsup2.gif

Syntec Blend always seems to post really, really good UOA results. Thats what counts, and it seems to deliver....just my observations.....

I think she bought 2-3 case's of the stuff....Well it was on sale or clearance and it was insanly cheap this was back in 2001. So she bought all they had thinking she waas getting a killer deal. If I rember right it was a good deal because they had it marked down even cheaper then dino oil but it was not synthetic. My wife even buys me rifles from time to time!!!

If I rember right after I changed the oil in those two vechiles the Toyota and the Dodge niether of wich burnt any oil they both started drinking oil I went through one case just toping up the too vechiles. They where drinking it like crazy!!! So if I remember right after feeding three or more quarts to each engine in less then a month I said no way and drained it out and went back to M1 and never ahd an issue again in either vechile. Now maybe I just got a bad batch but if I rember right others at the same time reported the same thing once I mentioned it on bitog! If you like Castrol products and the price point is right for you give it a try it is not going to kill your engine or anything.Personely if I want a blend I prefer to make it myself from OTC oils so I know how much synthetic I am getting. For example you you could add M1+Mobil Clean 5000 50/50 to an engine and have your own blend and end up with a much higher concentration of synthetic since most blends are usualy not more then 25% synthetic and that is usualy a G-III synthetic at best!

for most woman who dislike to buy motor oil is like all men who hate to buy MAXI PADS for their female companion :- ) . As for MR. BROWNING's wife , must be nice ! Whenever I head to automotive store or auto section of department store to see if motor oil is on sale she gets awnry , it's like instant time of the month ;- ) .

Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
I've been impressed with Castrol's oils, even their GTX conventional is performing very well on 5k mile runs …

UOA 5268 miles and the TBN was 4.32, so the oil was good for quite a bit longer.

5k miles GTX UOA TBN 2.0.

Given the synthetic-blend is better than the GTX, it should be a very good oil. I wouldn't hesitate to run it.

I also like the extra viscosity protection afforded by 5W-30's over the 20 wts.
55.gif

Yeah, this was my reasoning too. I've been running 5W-30 GTX in my '96 Oasis. It has 160 K miles on it, so I thought the syn blend would be nice to use in the low mileage Odyssey. I ran PP 5W-20 for three OCI's with EaO filter. This is a little pricey now, so I'm back to cheaper OEM Honda filters. I will probably do an oil analysis after this round of Castrol syn blend.

Originally Posted By: Canawler
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
When they first came out with it I tried some by accident the wife picked it up by accident thinking it was full synthetic on sale. She then lost the reciept.

Whoa. Your wife actually buys oil for you?? Who cares if it isn't exactly what you wanted.
grin2.gif

She's a keeper!
thumbsup2.gif

^^RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: smokey1
for most woman who dislike to buy motor oil is like all men who hate to buy MAXI PADS for their female companion :- ) . As for MR. BROWNING's wife , must be nice ! Whenever I head to automotive store or auto section of department store to see if motor oil is on sale she gets awnry , it's like instant time of the month ;- ) .

My gf`s the same way
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back