best oil for this 87 bmw 528 e.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know this one person who bought an 87 528 e with about 225,xxx miles. i'm pretty sure it is full of sludge,gunk,etc. they do not change the oil when needed,just add when it's low.it is driven now mainly on the highway,about 30 miles each way.what is the best oil to use,so that all the crap inside the engine will start to dissolve,and run better? i guess i will have to change the filter for them,since they hardly ever do it. i do not think they would want to buy auto-rx,since they are not into engine oils.

One could pour in and install any number of fine oils and filters, according to price or loyalty. Though my recommendation would be a Napa Gold oil filter or a deutsch because it is an older BMW. And with so many miles and concerns of sludge try Napa 30w in the spring and summer and Napa 10w-30 in the fall winter. Using straight 30w in the summer on a vehicle that sees mostly highway miles might help because it has no viscosity index improvers to breakdown and add to the sludge already in exsitence. Though in the colder months 10w-30 would be a better choice for cold starts.

Dave, I have decided to say Napa because it is relatively inexpensive in my neck of the woods, but whatever you put in your car should be just fine for the bimmer. I once owned an 82 320i and the countersalesman at the place where I bought the deutsch filter reccommended Castrol GTX 20w-50. I am paranoid of viscosity index improvers breaking down so, I knew this was wrong. Even though I live in Florida. I ran Mobil 1 15w-50 and was completely satisfied.

You can always find your brand of oil on sale if you browse the ads for department stores that come in the mail. Recently I saw halvoline for 99 cents at Eckerds.

If your friends ain't gonna change their oil regularly try and introduce them to Mobil 1 15000 mile or Amsoil which i believe they may only have to change once a year. I have used Napa synthetic and I believe it is good for 5000 miles at $3.69 a quart not a bad deal either for a group III synthetic. If they refuse to pay for a synthetic put whatever major brand you find on sale or the Napa or CarQuest or Supertech. Shoot I saw Exxon which I think is Mobil Drive Clean for $1.29 today at K-Mart.

quote:

Originally posted by Camu Mahubah:
I once owned an 82 320i

welcome.gif
to the site!

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000467#000000
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000354#000000

the bimmer was a 4 cylinder 2.0 maybe somewhat different than the one dave is inquiring about but It is the reference I chose because it is the only BMW I have ever owned. I think dave's bimmer is a 2.8 liter six

How about a different take. Maybe I'm assuming too much, but:

Will they blame you if something breaks? Why do YOU have to change their oil? Seems a strange way to keep/have a friend.

I mean it's fine to talk about oil and cars if they are interested....if they ask for some off the cuff advice, that's fine and normal too.......but to service the car of an otherwise able bodied friend - just because they won't do it themselves........I have doubts.

My wife's 88 325ic has about 180,000 miles on it. My Chec-chart booklet on oil recomendations shows BMW preferred 20W-50 in those years, so I run a 20W-50 CI-4/SL, changing twice a year. Of course the driving is different, as she never drives more than 4 miles at a time, and the car hasn't left the city in in at least 6 years since it is so low that the oil pan has been welded twice already.

I own 3 etas, 2 86 and an 88. I run 20w50 dino oil except for winter when I use 10w 40. I use STP (Deutsch) filters and observe a 3k OCI. The 88 just turned 292k miles and I have never had the valve cover off the engine. If they are lax about oil changes, an important question to ask is when was the timing belt last changed. The recommended interval is 4yrs/ 60k.

I don't think there is any oil that can go forever with just topping up and an occasional filter change. Got to get them to follow better maintenance practices or the engine is doomed anyway.

My wife's 86 528e was purchased new and sold about a year and a half ago with nearly 200k. I maintained it from 40k till the end. I used the BMW filters from the dealer because they were inexpensive and well made, or at least they appeared to be. I used Mobil 1, grades 0W30 and 10W30. I also used Scheaffer's #703, 10W30. All these oils seemed to perform very well. Between 5k changes, I could detect no noticable oil usage.

Now, I know this guess against what many will say, but the thinner oils worked wll for me. This engine honestly ran as well with 198k as it did new.

Just one man's opinion backed up with 198k of experience,

Jack

I agree with what Laurence says. Oil filters at the dealer aren't too expensive. One of the part places I go to (online) has the OE Mann filter for less than $4.50 Since this is not your car, I doubt you want to go through the trouble of mail ordering...

Does Mahle or Mann make filters for your BMW? They certainly seem to specialize in German cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back