Fertilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fertilizer question.

My front yard is very small, about 5 feet wide and 10 feet long.

There used to be a Bradford Pear tree in that yard.

It fell over about 2 years ago.

About 3 weeks ago I used a stump grinder on it's remains. (The tree was still alive, and it would send up shoots, but that stopped after it met Mr. Stump Grinder).

Right now I pretty much have nothing in the yard but a mixture of dirt and sawdust. The grass was already dead.

I've read that I should add a fertilizer containing nitrogen to help the sawdust decompose.

Eventually I want to plant grass in this yard.

Should I add nitrogen fertilizer to help the sawdust decompose? I expect I'll plant grass seed this spring.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Usually during winter because growth slows a foliar type fertilizer is desired. Organic type of fertilizer needs bio activity(heat) in the soil to break down quickly. Foliar is absorbed through the leaf surface but needs to be applied more frequent but absorbs quicker.

When I'm talking of foliar type not the Miracle Gro type but an organic type. Aggrand makes an excellent product.

I have tried Aggrand I wasn't super impressed. I use horse poop amdchem ferts in the field and composted horse poop in the garden along with chem ferts . And chem fertlizer on the lawn. I get the best results by using a mixture of chem ferts and horse poop than either one seperate. Chems on the lawn to me cleaner than poop on the lawn.

Ah, the lowly Bradford pear. The hort. heads planted them everywhere only to find out that they would force themselves to fall over even at the hint of high winds.

Sawdust does have a high carbon:nitrogen ratio, meaning that the microbes breaking it down use up "large" amounts of nitrogen in the process, leaving little for the plants (grass)to take up.

Don't go overboard on the nitrogen and overdose the soil "salt" levels. Maybe a bit of well seasoned compost would help the break down process.

Up north, fall is the best time to sow grass seed. I would think you could sow the grass seed and just keep an eye on its color. If it looks pale green "soon feed" a small amount of N to darken it up.

I did my brother in law's lawn. I used a product called EndoRoots. I'm a firm believer in the mycorrhiza fungus. They feed on organic matter. Chemical fertilizers can kill the mycorrhiza in due time.

His neighbor had his yard done by a professional landscaper and he spent $9000 for top rated stuff. He had his grass(sods) done 4 months prior. After 1 year the grass I applied with endoroots was full and green. So he asked my brother in law why his lawn looked full and green and his(neighbor) didn't look as full and robust since it was done 4 months prior and he spent $9K for a professional job. He told him about the endoroots and how he fertilizes once a year with the endoroots. So he gave some to his neighbor and in due time they both look the same robust.

If you have a feed store nearby they have many great items that make great all around fertilizers. Rabbit pellets (alfalfa meal) Corn Meal(also works as a anti fungal), Soymeal any grain meal really works great.

I also like using mollasses to really crank up the metabolism of the microorganisms..

More recently
What I have began to use recently since the price of grain is on the increase is the following program.
Once a year application of minerals dust (granite dust or lava sand for iron and pottasium. I mulch mow, grass clippings left on the lawn for the summer can add up to 1 pound of nitrogen per 1000Sq feet.
I use a ortho dial and spray and apply a liquid fertilizer call Hasta gro Lawn- http://www.agorganics.com/products/Hasta-Gro-Lawn-Gal/13/243.html - but any liquid foliar feed will do. Don't soak the soil just feed the grass, the lawn clippings feed the soil. Feed about 3 times during the summer and enjoy.

I see no problem with miligornite or other recycled waste fertilizers. . I know that I live in the south but the same principles apply.

Last edited:
That solved, in the area I live there are insects that cause big Dead or brown spots if poison isn't used I was too late and !!! I applied fertilizer wiht bug poison in it .Is there anything organic that can be done?

Poison is like treating the symptom not the cause, besides you then kill off most of your predatory insects that help control the problem insects when you apply a broad spectrum insecticide.. Sounds like chinch bugs or a similar type of insect.
Organic solutions are
Diatomaceous earth and compost. Manure tea, molasses, and citrus oil spray.

Here is some helpfull info.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=697

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
If you have a feed store nearby they have many great items that make great all around fertilizers. Rabbit pellets (alfalfa meal) Corn Meal(also works as a anti fungal), Soymeal any grain meal really works great.

I also like using mollasses to really crank up the metabolism of the microorganisms..

More recently
What I have began to use recently since the price of grain is on the increase is the following program.
Once a year application of minerals dust (granite dust or lava sand for iron and pottasium. I mulch mow, grass clippings left on the lawn for the summer can add up to 1 pound of nitrogen per 1000Sq feet.
I use a ortho dial and spray and apply a liquid fertilizer call Hasta gro Lawn- http://www.agorganics.com/products/Hasta-Gro-Lawn-Gal/13/243.html - but any liquid foliar feed will do. Don't soak the soil just feed the grass, the lawn clippings feed the soil. Feed about 3 times during the summer and enjoy.

I see no problem with miligornite or other recycled waste fertilizers. . I know that I live in the south but the same principles apply.

The key I wanted to address was the mycorrhizal fungi which I believe is key on organic vegetation. Protecting this fungi and being aware what goes in the bio world under the soil.

I know Aggrand from way back and I thought it was a joke when they sold their products under Amsoil. Hmmm but looking at their product I do see it's geared on the mycorrhizal growth. I like the fish/seaweed foliar especially on green veggies which are sensitive to strong fertilization. It's may favorite.

Having an established healthy mycorrhizal growth Bryan those are killer and healthy organic application you are applying. I dust all my veggie and small potted plants with the mycorrhizal fungi since I've been using for 15 years and I'm a believer in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back