Will Toluene clean the fuel system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started using toluene as an octane boost in 1997 VW. The motor has been modified quite a bit including a supercharger. The car runs much better when I use 2.5 gallons of toluene and 12 gallons of 93 octane fuel (tank holds 14.5 gallons). Anyway my real question is will the toluene clean like a fuel system cleaner or should I still occationally use a good fuel injector/system cleaner like Amsoil PI, Redline, etc. I have searched the internet but I am coming up with conflicting information (imagine that!).

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
I wonder what the energy content of a gallon of toluene is compared with gasoline.

Running better might have more to do with that than with cleanliness.

It seems like a very expensive practice. On the other hand, with the price of gas now a gallon of toluene might be less expensive, not more???

It runs better because my timing is staying more advanced because of the increase in octane, 96.6 by my calculations. Just wondered if it would also keep the intake valves, combustion chamber, fuel injectors, ect. clean. It is not cheap but this car is not a daily driver so it's not too bad. If I could find 100 octane unleaded racing fuel I would buy that instead.

Gas itself is between 5-15% toluene. I personally doubt adding more will clean all that much better. It will deff inprome octane(as you are well versed in). I would still use a quality cleaner like Regane or Redline periodically if I were you. Doesn't cost very much and then you KNOW its getting cleaned well.

What do you think about using an UCL of some sort? I was thinking about it just in case I am using enough toluene to diminish the lubricating properties of the fuel.

Last edited:
as far as I know BP ultimate (RON 98) down here has toulene additive to boost it from 95 to 98 RON and the fuel claims very much to clean everything really wel..

Originally Posted By: glennc
I wonder what the energy content of a gallon of toluene is compared with gasoline.

Running better might have more to do with that than with cleanliness.

It seems like a very expensive practice. On the other hand, with the price of gas now a gallon of toluene might be less expensive, not more???

Gasoline
SG 0.72-0.78
Heating Value of stoichiometric mix 2.83 MJ/Kg
RON 91-100
MON 82-89

Toluene
SG 0.876
Heating Value of stoichiometric mix 2.73 MJ/Kg
RON 120
MON 109

Although you should lose a little power with toluene due to the energy content, you can win more than that with compression ratio and timing.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Is gas really 5-15% toluene(reference)? Toluene is a strong solvent and I'd have some concerns if using a high doeage.

Yup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

Small snip from the "Chemical analysis and production" section:
Many of these hydrocarbons are considered hazardous substances and are regulated in the United States by Occupational Safety and Health Administration. The Material Safety Data Sheet for unleaded gasoline shows at least fifteen hazardous chemicals occurring in various amounts. These include benzene (up to 5% by volume), toluene (up to 35% by volume), naphthalene (up to 1% by volume), trimethylbenzene (up to 7% by volume), MTBE (up to 18% by volume) and about ten others.[7]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back