2005 Ford Taurus Drain+Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drained and filled the parents 2005 Taurus with 24k miles. The fluid didn't look too bad on the dipstick, but was black and kind of gunky upon emptying it into the pan. I checked the filter and saw no metal shaving or anything; just a bit of sandy material which I assume is from the clutches. Replaced the filter and filled it up with Castrol Mercon V and buttoned it up. I was really surprised that the fluid looked bad after only 24K miles...very odd.

I had the same experience with my 2001 Sable. It was bought used with 10K and I changed out all the fluids in case the odometer was turned back. But the fluid looked better than what you described.

Interesting observation on the ATF fluid appearance. I too often notice the fluid may look good on the dipstick, but it comes out rather dark when you go ahead and drain it.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
Just drained and filled the parents 2005 Taurus with 24k miles. The fluid didn't look too bad on the dipstick, but was black and kind of gunky upon emptying it into the pan. I checked the filter and saw no metal shaving or anything; just a bit of sandy material which I assume is from the clutches. Replaced the filter and filled it up with Castrol Mercon V and buttoned it up. I was really surprised that the fluid looked bad after only 24K miles...very odd.

The material was probably debris from break-in. I wouldn't be too concerned over the fluid's color. Even if the fluid was very dark, it probably means it was doing its job. If the transmission used a carbon fiber type material for instance, the fluid could turn dark very quickly and the color does not mean the fluid needed to be changed.

Insoluble junk usually falls into the transmission pan, gets blocked out by the filter, and then falls back into the pan.

Its a ford and its not odd. I would worry about its color. For a partial ATF change, definitely shorten your change interval. Tauri transmissions don't have the reputation of being long lived.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Its a ford and its not odd. I would worry about its color. For a partial ATF change, definitely shorten your change interval. Tauri transmissions don't have the reputation of being long lived.

Maybe you are not up to date on the latest info. Ford fixed the weakest part of the Taurus transmission in 2001 (I think it is the actuator piston, upgraded from aluminum to steel) and now they are reliable to at least 100k miles, and many exceed 150k miles.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: unDummy

Maybe you are not up to date on the latest info. Ford fixed the weakest part of the Taurus transmission in 2001 (I think it is the actuator piston, upgraded from aluminum to steel) and now they are reliable to at least 100k miles, and many exceed 150k miles.

It sure took them a long time to do it though. That trans has been in use since the Taurus was first introduced in 1986. The main problems started in 1986 and continued until it was revamped to hold up to the Taurus SHO and Continental V8. One of the worst chapters was the 1991 model year, when it would not maintain the line pressure needed for the trans to operate and last properly. Ford provided extra coverage for early failures for that model year. They were dropping like flies after spraying Raid.

That front clutch piston went through several revisions. A split piston was one of the most common failures for many years starting in 1986.

This same trans was used in Windstars where they failed even easier than they did in lighter Tauruses.

With as much flack as I faced with that transmission, I'm not sure if I could ever trust it.

Yes you are exactly right, I had the AXOD version in my 1990 Taurus that was bought NEW. The tranny failed at 63k miles, even with maintenance. From what I read, many of the failures were caused by high speed oiling problems due to the passages being too small to accomodate proper lubrication. Thats a BIG f-ing oversight on Ford's part, especially when you consider the amount of Tauruses they produced with defective transmissions!

Upgrades and complete reliability shouldn't be confused. It was a POS tranny regardless of ALL Ford upgrades over the years, most simply bandaids. I've seen plenty of the 2001 and newer get torn apart quickly <60k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back