FP Plus and Fuel Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please take notice that I am NOT questioning the fuel cleaning/treatment effectiveness of FP Plus and FP 60. However, I am questioning the manufacturer’s claim that the use of these products may improve fuel mileage. Over the past 24 months I have carefully recorded the average fuel mileage in each of my four vehicles. When I use FP 60 or FP Plus my fuel mileage drops. I have noted fuel mileage declines ranging from 5% to 11%. I have tried application rates ranging from 25% to 100% of the manufacturer’s recommended application rate. In each case the fuel mileage has suffered. When I don’t use FP 60 or FP Plus the mileage increases. I have been able to repeat these results.

Has anyone else observed similar declines in fuel mileage, or can someone offer me some advice on what I may be doing wrong?

I don't get those decreases when FP is in or not. Every one of my highest mpg was with FP in the tank....but, that isn't meaningful, as I've only driven 40,000 miles since October of 07, and MOST of my tankfuls have had FP in them.

I don't know the answer, unless you use FP when it's cold, and don't use it when it's hot, OR, you use FP when driving in the city and not when on the highway.

My motorcycle also had it's highest mpg when using FP. Again, not statistically significant, but, I certainly don't see any reason to think there has been a decrease in efficiency in my vehicles.

using 131 has the best mpg; but it cost alot more the fp3000. I use fp3000 in the cars etc and get over 1 mpg....You need to play with dosage rates.

FP60 has improved the gas mileage in both my car and my truck...the Volvo turbo more than the Tundra V8.

One big advantage of FP is that it makes the cheapest, poorest quality gasoline the equal of the best gas. Here, BP's ARCO gasoline is liquid [censored]. It is the only gas where I can see the reduced gas mileage without even doing any calculations. It is also cheap. ARCO plus FP costs less per mile traveled than the best gas (Top Tier) with or without FP.

FP's largest mileage advantage comes when treating the lowest quality fuel. Mileage benefits taper off as fuel quality increases. I use top-brand, premium fuel (required) so I don't expect to see a huge difference in fuel economy.

I can say, however, that in general my fuel economy is better than before FP60 and FP+ and is certainly not worse. I only drive 10k miles per year, and I tend to fill up whenever I need 20L or more (out of 70L+ tank) so I always use FP and don't screw around with on-again, off-again "scientific" testing.

Even if it only cleans and lubes - which it does - that's enough benefit for me to use it.

Last edited:
I started using FP+ a few months ago. I used to use MMO in the fuel. I have not come to any meaningful conclusions yet, but I think my G35 is benefiting a little bit with fuel economy. My Tundra V-8 is experiencing no fuel economy benefit. All I can say with absolute certainty is that my vehicles hate E10 fuel!

Indymac LOL you have the same cars i have: V8 tundra and G35. I haven't noticed any mpg increases with either vehicle. i simply use FP to keep things clean.

Honestly, I probably shouldn't have even commented on FP+ and MPG. With my S2000 thrown into the mix too, I have ARX going on, dino oils in use that I've never used before, FP+ instead of MMO in the fuel, a new higher viscosity gear oil in all the diffs, and E10 in the tanks year round now. So I should probably let the dust settle before I weigh in on this topic. Anyways, I love all my vehicles like children and I'm just trying to provide the best home I can for them. They grow up too fast these days!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back