brake cleaner: chlorinated or non-chlorinated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which do you use and why? Is it at all vehicle specific? I remember once, years ago, the local toyota used the non-chlorinated version when doing some rear brake work.

Personally, i am not worried about environmental issues with this product, just which cleans better yet does not damage any of the brake parts.

lol at "not caring about enviormental issues". iirc, clorinated is flamable, non-clorinated is not.

The non-chlorinated version will not attack plastic parts (which is important when using it on motorcycles).

Actually, non-chlorinated versus chlorinated aerosol is about the health of the person using the product.

chlorinated is not flamable easy "ier" on paint .Non chlorinated is usually acetone and is flamable dissolves paint /plastic.

The chlorine in tap water gasses out enough fumes to potentially cause chronic bronchitis, which means permanent lung damage, just by taking showers. Inhaling chlorine compounds from an aerosol poses a great risk of exposure to chlorine fumes.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Actually, non-chlorinated versus chlorinated aerosol is about the health of the person using the product.

That's why I use it ...that, and the chlorinated stuff smells real bad. It's usually slightly more expensive for the NC stuff.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
ive had a big problem finding chlorinated brake cleaner locally, just non chlorinated.

You and Tempest need to hook up and go shopping. You can buy the unnecessarily toxic brake cleaner, and he can buy some burger loaded with unnecessary trans fat.
grin2.gif

really i dont care, ive just noticed that its always non chlorinated. im also the kind of person to take cats off a street car, run xylene mixed with the gas or leaded race gas on the street and think nothing of it.

Personally I think they both stink and give off noxious fumes. I avoid em whenever possible.

When I was still an apprentice, after doing oil changes, I used to hose down all of the residual oil with (non-chlorinated) brake cleaner. Now I just use rags. That stuff stinks and can't be good to inhale.

Chlorinated brake cleaner is bad for your health and bad for the environment. Non-chlorinated works just as well at removing grease and oil.

Just another reason I'm thinking about getting out of the automotive field. Too much exposure to chemicals/harmful dust/etc

How many old timer ex-mechanics do you personally know? I don't know any, they're all dead. If the environmental (shop) toxins don't get em', the drinking, cigarettes, or fast food will. Most mechanics that I've worked with or know live pretty hard.

Last edited:
ive had a big problem finding chlorinated brake cleaner locally, just non chlorinated.

You live in CA, that's why. You can't even get starting fluid. Tougher restrictions.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
lol at "not caring about enviormental issues".

LOL

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The non-chlorinated version will not attack plastic parts (which is important when using it on motorcycles).

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Chlorinated is not flammable easy "ier" on paint. Non chlorinated is usually acetone and is flammable dissolves paint /plastic.

Who's right?

They're both volatile as heck and will ignite at the drop of a hat. Don't spray it on anything active electrically that switches, you'll be in for a surprise.

Apparently, chlorinated brake cleaner can't be sold in CA. At least all the cans of it I've ever seen say "NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA"

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech

How many old timer ex-mechanics do you personally know? I don't know any, they're all dead. If the environmental (shop) toxins don't get em', the drinking, cigarettes, or fast food will. Most mechanics that I've worked with or know live pretty hard.

i know one, my father, 70 years old and has been working as a car and jet engine mechanic for over 50 years. actually, i know a lot of them.

now here in austin, you find more chlorinated then non-chlorinated on the shelf of any auto store. i would say 3 for 1 ratio, prices are the same though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikeinaustin
my father, 70 years old and has been working as a car and jet engine mechanic for over 50 years. actually, i know a lot of them.

now here in austin, you find more chlorinated then non-chlorinated on the shelf of any auto store.

Clearly, chlorinated brake cleaner is good for people!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman

You and Tempest need to hook up and go shopping. You can buy the unnecessarily toxic brake cleaner, and he can buy some burger loaded with unnecessary trans fat.
grin2.gif

Funny.
smirk2.gif

You'll be happy to know though that I buy the chlorinated because it seems to work better. How often do I do brakes? Like once every two years?? If I worked with it everyday it might be a different story.

Use it outside and don't huff the stuff and all will be good. Gloves not a bad idea if around any chemical much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back