Would you use this oil in a light diesel ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caltex Havoline® Energy 5w30
Synthetic, Energy Conserving Passenger Car

Performance standards
• API SL, SJ, SH, SG
• ACEA A1/B1-04
• ILSAC GF-3
• API Energy Conserving
• Ford/Jaguar WSS-M2C913-B
• Ford WSS-M2C913-A
• Ford WSS-M2C915-A

It is really well priced and conforms to Ford/Jaguar WSS-M2C913- A/B which my manual recommends for my TDCi diesel. Currently using Delo 400 15w40 CI4+ but I was warned by my dealer with regards to warranty issues. They will overlook the Delo if I switch to a Ford Spec oil for my Fiesta TDCI.

It is a really well priced oil too and should go well with the ultra low sulphur diesel that I use.

I would really appreciate your expert opinions and I would like to know what type of OCI would you run with this oil.

Last edited:
What oil does your Ford dealer use? What does your owners manual say as for as what specs should be used and what vis. Is there anything in you manual that recommends API C???.

Can't imagine Delo 400 causing a problem in any diesel engine.

I dont think that Delo 400 would be a problem either but my dealer / warranty warned me using non-Ford spec oil. He said they will not cover me in the event of a warantee claim if a non-Ford/Jaguar WSS-M2C913- A/B oil is used.

That is why I posted the query on low HTHS and low SAPS oils because that is what I am supposed to use.

My manual states a 5w30 oil that meets or exceeds Ford/Jaguar WSS-M2C913- A/B.

My dealer uses Ford Formula E 5w30 and I heard that its a Chevron / Caltex oil and my dealer said that they approve the above mentioned oil.

But the PDS does not explicitly state that it can be use for a diesel engine. It does have an ACEA B1-04 rating.

My car needs to go in next week for an oil change or else they void my warrantee

Last edited:
If you are going to take it to the dealer for the oil change, why not just use their oil. I would use their oil until the warranty expires then maybe go back to Delo.

Sorry cannot be more help but I am not that familiar with that Ford/Jaguar spec nor the ACEA B1-04. From reading your original post, that looks like a pretty weak diesel specd oil.

Quote:
If you are going to take it to the dealer for the oil change, why not just use their oil. I would use their oil until the warranty expires then maybe go back to Delo.

The Havoline energy is exactly the same spec but less expensive. I read that they are the same oils but with different labels

Well, if it is the same oil, and if it meets all the warranty requirements, I guess I would use it. But, when the warranty is over, I would go back to the Delo.

What is the difference in price between this oil and the oil the dealer has?

Sounds like your dealer is trying to push their products on you...I would find another dealer.

Quote:
$8 per liter? That's quite the difference.

LOL , $8 diff for 5L. This is South Africa so $8 = R60 which is significant. To put it in perspective , Delo 400 costs R130 per 5L = $17 per 5L.

It trully does sound like they are pushing their products , but the ball is in their court as they can void my warantee and maintanence plan

Ford Fiesta TDCi 2006 1.6L Common-Rail Turbo Diesel (DV6). Buddy of mine has a Ford Focus TDCi 2.0L , so this query applies to him as well.

Both their manuals state Ford WSS M2C 913 B oils , or a 5w30 that complies with ACEA A1/B1 and ILSAC GF-3.

Their normal service intervals according to their manuals are 15 000km OCI's on the above mentioned oils.

Both cars where designed to work with low HTHS oils and the fuel I use is Shell V-Power Diesel <50ppm sulphur or BP Ultimate Diesel <50ppm sulphur

Last edited:
I have some specs on it.... but it looks pretty dated though.
Below states that its a dino oil , but the bottle states its synthetic. The 5L I purchased states that its a API SL as well.

Base API VI PP FP HTHS NOACK TBN
Havoline Energy P SJ 188 -54 450 2.95 14.50 5.0

Seems like it has a really good VI and FP but the Noack and TBN is slightly low though.

Bear in mind that these are possibly dated specs

If that TBN is anywhere close to being correct, I would not put this oil in a diesel engine. At this point without knowing anything else about this oil I would just recommend you use the dealers oil and spend the extra $8. If you use the wrong product it will cost you a lot more than this.

But why would Ford recommend such an inferior oil then ? I read that the certain Ford Euro 4 engines were developed to only use ACEA B1 , M2C 912 B sepc oils.

Surely the TBN should be good enough when using ULS diesel such as Shell V-Power diesel
Delo 400 15w40 with a TBN of about 11 was made with diesel of higher sulphur content in mind , as well as the use in larger , less effecient engines that consume larger quantities of diesel.

Some Quaker State 15w40 CH4 HDEO's have a TBN of 5 as well

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
What oil does your Ford dealer use? What does your owners manual say as for as what specs should be used and what vis. Is there anything in you manual that recommends API C???.

Can't imagine Delo 400 causing a problem in any diesel engine.

you know there is a ford dealer here and I have seen the big truck come in and fill the giant drums with oil, I even sneak in the office and look at the invoice and I have never seen an actual brand listed other than the local company that trucks it in.
now next door to me at UPS I see they use Conoco philips diesel oil, there is a decal on the drum and they change at 8,000 miles
Ill bet Ford buys the cheapest AVAILABLE OIL at the time...
just a thought...

I believe the Ford TDCI engines are badge engineered Peugeot HDi engines. Peugeot recommend Total lubricants. They used to also recommend ESSO. They may be the same thing now.

I use this oil in my MY2000, 66kW 2.0 HDi:
Full synthetic 5w40
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/e_1341.html

And change it at 7000 miles tops. But that's probably way too early.

This might be as good. It's likely cheaper.
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/e_1092.html

Part synthetic. They may also be badged Lubro Moly in some places. Nobody seems to have tried LM oils here, though. I'm on my first interval myself.

Last edited:
The Havoline Energy and Mobil 1 0w40 have the same TBN number as well as the Shell 5w40 (TBN = 5 ) and they are all used for diesel cars.

Mobil 1 even has a GM long drain approval in a diesel with a TBN of 5.0

I should be OK for at least 7 500miles before an OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back