best oil for 2002 ford explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently purchased a 2002 ford explorer. what kind of oil would you reccommend? I've heard good things about royal purple.

Save yourself some money and go with a jug of MC Syn Blend. Many people in this forum have gotten good results from it. But it's your money. RP is a great oil.

I've used almost every brand in my 2000 Explorer and to be honest cant tell a bit of difference. I now use Valvoline Synpower 5w30 since it was BOGO in January. Then I will use whatever is on sale at that point, if nothing then MC 5w30 goes in. I almost always use a MC filter.

Do these types of questions ever get old???? Use whatever is on sale. I've used MC 5000, Castrol, SuperTech syn., Mobil 1, and now I'm using Valvoline ML all 5/10w-30. I just purchased 36 qts of Napa dino oil so I will be using that for atleast 6 oci...

Oh, I've never seen Motorcraft 5w-30; only 5w-20. I'm afraid to use that weight on my car with my mileage. My baby doesn't burn any oil though.

And plenty of bad things have been said about it too.

If you want synthetic, don't buy RP, many other products have been proven better, and cost less too. I am a huge fan of Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Torque Power, and Valvoline SynPower.

I'm using GC (German Castrol) Syntec 0w30 in my '99 Ford Explorer (same 4.0 litre OHC engine) and the engine is noticeably quieter. The noise (periodic rattle) from the long camchains is less. I previously used 5w30 dino oil.

I've been using the GC for a couple of years and the Exporer has 260,000 km on it (approx 165,000 miles). Doesn't burn any oil between changes. It's the same oil I use in my BMW 740iL. Good stuff.

any type of 5w30 will work really. thats one of the motors that was exempt from the 5w20 declaration from ford. mc 5w30 is made both in a blend and full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: omnia
I just recently purchased a 2002 ford explorer. what kind of oil would you reccommend? I've heard good things about royal purple.

What's your annual mileage?
What's your routine anticipated service include?
What's your goals for length of OCI?
What's your length of ownership expectations?

The answers can vary the replies beyond "just throw whatever you can find in there and go find another board to read".

I'll throw in my vote for Formula Shell
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back