Lucas Transmission Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any information of what the composition of this product is? I was not able to download their data sheets for some reason. They claim no solvents or kerosene carrier, and it claims to do some of the same cleaning as auto-rx would do for a transmission. The only difference that is readily apparent is the Lucas may change the viscosity of the atf where the auto-rx would not. We all know the good benefits of auto-rx, but how would this Lucas product stand against it. They make a fuel system cleaner that I tried that is also eco friendly that claims to improve mileage. On one of my vehicles a 94 ford 351 windsor it did on the other it actually dropped the mileage. That product seems similar to Fuel Power.

It does not even come close to doing what Auto-Rx does, I used Lucas Transmission Fix and it did not do a thing. Auto-Rx turned my trans fluid a very dark burgundy color and it left a layer of junk on the bottom of my transmission pan.

Well I think the Lucas product does clean as advertised but it might change the chemistry of the host atf which the auto-rx will not. Both products claim to clean and if c3po you found dirt on the bottom on you pan it did some cleaning with the help of auto-rx. The question is if the Lucas product will do as good as job as auto-rx. I at this point after thinking about it doubt that it will. Any further oppinions?
Frank?

48cSt@100C? Yes, it will change the viscosity of your ATF. It's probably mostly thick oil and polymer to thicken the oil and a sprinkling of adds. I would not want that in my trans.

I did Lucas Transmission Fix 2 years before Auto-Rx and when I changed the fluid there was nothing on the bottom of the pan. These are just my observations and it did nothing for my trans, now Lucas Gas Treatment is another story. I thought Lucas Transmission Fix was supposed to give better shifting, maybe I was wrong about the cleaning, but my observations are just observations and not scientific fact.

Well I still have some tranny shudder in my automatic and should have waited for my auto-rx which is on the way. I added 12 oz. of the lucas and it seems to have helped take most of the shudder and slipping out but it is not all out. I will add the auto-rx as prescribed and run about 1,500 miles and flush the whole unit again. I flushed the tranny about 600 miles ago and they refilled with Motorcraft Mercon V. It took away about 50 percent of the shudder and the Lucas has helped reduce a little more but I think the auto-rx will clean out the touque convertor and bands to make it run well again.

Red Oak, do you have a transmission cooler on your vehicle, meaning an external cooler, my 2004 Mercury Marauder came with 1, this helps a little bit with decreasing the shudder. I think there is a product called LubeGuard Red that is supposed to help with the shudder. On my Marauder I have a little shudder and from what I have read I would have to get something like an X-Cal 2 tune, basically reprogramming the computer but I am not going to do it because I have read that sometimes people have gone out to start there car's in the morning that have had this tune and there car did not start. I will go out on a limb and promise you this, after doing Auto-Rx in your transmission it will feel like a new transmission, just make sure to clean the bottom of the pan when the 1500 miles are up.

Yes external cooler. Before totally flushing the whole system with new mercon v the shudder was bad. After the flush it helped but still there. My gosh when I added the Lucas yesterday it was so thick and the temperature was about 90f. I thought about reprogramming but my opinion is the tranny is just dirty, especially in the torque converter and the bands. After the auto-rx run I may use a full synthetic mercon V made by Valvoline. It may be a tick better than the motorcraft which is just a synthetic blend, I believe. Thanks for your comments c3po.

If you are looking for a full synthetic transmission fluid I would also check out Redline D4 and Amsoil ATF which meet and exceed Mercon V specs. How many miles are on your transmission. I think that Valvoline Mercon V is not 100% synthetic, both Redline and Amsoil ATF's have better flash and pour points. I would ask Pablo or Gary Allan.

123,000. Original owner pulled horse and cattle trailers. Truck is in excellent shape, not a spot of rust very well taken care of. Came from North Carolina. I just bet the high temps. from the towing had a hand on the deposits in the transmission. I just do not believe anything mechanical is wrong other than needing more cleaning being a 94 with a 351 Windsor. Motor runs flawlessly. Now on auto rx rinse phase with one to go. Four speed electronic automatic known to be particular with atf fluid. Your idea about Redline or Amsoil is a good one. Thanks.

If your automatic is sensitive to trans fluid you want to make sure that whatever fluid you chose you get as much of the old fluid out.

That is for sure. I thought the Lucas tranny fix was helping a bit but my inspection sticker was dead so I used the truck on my daily travels after the inspection. My gosh the thing is slipping now worse than ever and has terrible shudder. I only put a few oz.of the Lucas in and initially I thought it was operating better. But today after 200 miles the thing is worse than ever. When I came home, luckily there was my bottle of auto-rx I had ordered. I checked to make sure the fluid was not over full while the engine was operating and put 6 oz. per instructions in the tranny. Well I guess we will see what happens. I think it will work out that the thing is just dirty. I will run 1,500 miles then do a total flush and put in some redline or amsoil that is rated to mercon V. If this does not work I am afraid there may be some mechanical issues. I will keep updating this post. I would not put the Lucas product in anything again. It just made it worse.

When you put in the 6 ounces it does not have anything to do with the level of transmission fluid, remember Auto-Rx is not tranny fluid or engine oil it is a metal cleaner, have you checked your transmission filter, hopefully you have the screen type and not the felt type. I think that Auto-Rx will eventually clear everything up. Have you looked at the bottom of the pan for any signs of metal debris.

Last edited:
Screen type filter, I did not see the bottom of the pan when the ford garage did the complete flush removing all old atf and adding new motorcraft mercon v. I asked them what it looked like and they said it was dirty but they had seen much worse. They utilize the machine that removes all the fluid even out of torque converter. I ran to town last evening after installing the auto-rx and the thing settled down. It still slipped a bit but it was also not as hot as it was yesterday it the mountain driving, I will park the company truck another day a use this truck to advance along the 1,500 miles to find out if it will help. I still am confident this will do the trick. I should have waited just two days instead of trying the little bit of Lucas which at least in my case made my truck act more like a kicking bucking misbehaving child,

The screen type filter is good because Auto-Rx will liquify everything and not clog up the screen, just keep driving the truck as much as you can.

My A/C in my 99 Buick Regal LS was worked on by someone who did not know what they were doing. As soon as a few days after I had lots of water from unit all in passenger floor board. They fixed that than when A/C was on,temp guage would go to half way mark and transmission would buck felt like it was seperating from the engine. They just could not fix it and i had to much money in the car to junk it. Added 6 ounces of Auto-Rx and shudder & bucking is
gone MPG is back ( had dropped 6 miles per gallon from normal 22 MPG) I am putting 1000 miles on and doing a T-Tec. Damage could include a pin hole in the transmission line going to radiator, if so this transmission should be fried. Will post again.

Update, I ran about 100 miles today and the transmission ran sooooo much better. There was still a little slippage but the shudder is now gone and things are looking a whole lot better than yesterday. I will run 1,500 miles and then do the flush with the T-Tec. This time with a high quality synthetic Atf Mercon approved. I am making about a 400 mile round trip tomorrow and that will be another story to tell tomorrow evening. I just do not understand why the Lucas initially helped a bit but then went to heck in a hand basket. Well the auto-rx is helping. I think this would be great Christmas gifts to all the family who does not take care of their rides like I think they should. I already have my father-in-law in the first rinse phase on a 97 Ranger 4.0 with nearly 180,000 miles on the clock. His gas mileage has improved and the motor sounds better. Frank thanks again for the great product. More orders will be coming for the holidays. Ryan

Just let everyone know and Frank if you are following the post, my transmission is operating much better. Still has some low speed slippage but at normal highway speed the auto-rx is working. Went about 400 miles today and will give it another work out tomorrow. The Lucas tranny fix was just so thick it had to change the viscosity of the motorcraft which started to help and then it all went down the tubes. The chemistry of the auto-rx is amazing. I will post picks of the pan when my 1,500 mile cycle is up. Ryan

Well I took a long trip today and have the Auto-RX in for nearly 1000 miles now and actually the transmission is working worse than ever. The first few hundred miles seemed to be much better with the arx. When I go up a hill and require a downshift the transmission slips badly, almost sounds like a starter missing worn teeth on a flywheel. Lot's of shudder now. I thought the thing just was dirty but now am thinking I have internal issues. I do not know how to approach this. To do another flush it costs 125 dollars. If that does not work just like the first did not then I am out that money. I probably will drop the pan and examine the magnet for metal shavings and go from there. If I need to rebuild I wonder if it is cheaper to do a core exchange or replace the worn parts. What a bummer. I checked the temperature of the pan today after a mountain climb and it was 240 with a temperature gun. That is to hot. End of posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back