Linux binaries on SCO OpenServer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of our resident Linux gurus work with SCO OpenServer?

I can produce Linux binaries (both 32 and 64 bit) but not native SCO binaries. What does it take to run a Linux binary in SCO OpenServer?

Any issues with using third party libraries in this situation? Specifically, use of libpq.so for access to PostgreSQL.

Is "lxrun" the answer, or is there something else?

Thanks!

Edit: I should add that it is a command line program, no GUI involved.

Preface: No offense is intended here. I have nothing but love for a fellow POSIX connoisseur. And with that in mind...

Isn't SCO that company that tried to sue IBM and other prominent companies running Linux and got spanked and embarrassed into bankrupt oblivion despite spending tens of millions of dollars on legal fees? Why the @*%^ is anybody still running SCO anything? Also, isn't there a better place to post such a nerdy computer question than a motor oil web site?

The Linux community is a fickle beast. Most of them will not answer you simply out of protest. "Convert to Linux you you capitalist [censored]! It's free as in freedom," they'll shout at you after they whine about Bill Gates trying to take over the world. While I have nothing useful to add about your predicament other than "You'll probably have to use lxrun," I'll leave you at least with one hopefully entertaining quote from John Dodge in PCWeek Magazine some years ago:

"There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. This is probably not a coincidence."

Praise be to Linus. Happy computing!

John

I am no fan of SCO, and have no SCO server myself. That is why I asked the question at large. I too am surprised anyone still pays for SCO products, but obviously someone does! I cannot dictate what others do.

I am very impressed with many open source projects, like Linux and PostgreSQL. That is why I work with them. However, I can't claim a high level of proficiency with Linux in depth. The open source BSD variants are also impressive.

No offense taken, and the Linux community needn't take any either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back