Check your valve stems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a slow leak on my tires. I noticed that my valve stems are cracked. My tires were installed new a year ago. Does this thing occur frequently?

Yes, if they are old or sit outside frequently. Also if they get cranked on too tight.

How old is the car or how much does it sit in the Sun?

Every time I get new tires they always install new valve stems. Not sure what will happen with the stems that incorporate the "low pressure sensors"

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Every time I get new tires they always install new valve stems. Not sure what will happen with the stems that incorporate the "low pressure sensors"

New valve stems at your cost
frown.gif

"New valve stems at your cost "

Not necessarily,,,in 1970 when I first started helping my dad at 14 new valve stems cost him $ .30 each wholesale. At that time we did complete tire repair, tubeless (patched inside) or tube type (still pretty common at that time for ONE DOLLAR AND TWENTY FIVE CENTS!! When customer needed stems standard price was $1.00 (for a .30 investment, pretty good money at the time).

NOW, buying in 500 piece quantitys I pay $ .13 for new stems. Just doesn't make sense to allow a customer the option of new stems. They go in EVERY new tire sold at my shop. Just consider them part of the cost of overhead, so while customer pays in the long run, it's very negligible.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Eddie

They don't get replaced unless the tire dealer money sensor senses a customer with deep pockets
grin2.gif
Just kidding, mostly...

I know several people with Corvettes with tire pressure sensors and the tire dealer's haven't tried to sell them new sensors.

My Corvette and Acura both have tire pressure sensors with stout looking metal stems and I expect the stems will outlast the non-replaceable batteries in the sensors.

I seems like a legitimate business for a tire dealer to offer to install new sensors for no labor charge when the customer is buying new tires on a car old enough to be needing new sensors reasonably soon.

you are supposed to replace the valve core on a stem mounted sensor. at least according to the ford class i took. strap mounted sensors do not require that.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
you are supposed to replace the valve core on a stem mounted sensor. at least according to the ford class i took. strap mounted sensors do not require that.

Close, but not quite. You are SUPPOSED to pull the core, remove attaching nut, bump the stem assembly loose so that it falls loose inside tire(to avoid damage while breaking beads and removing tire from wheel), then breakdown and remove tire from wheel. When re-installing, a new hardware kit is required, consisting of a new rubber stem gasket, nut,metal washer, core, and cap. These replacement kits cost ME approx $12. wholesale. This is all according to "American Tire and Rim Manufacturers and Dealers Assoc".

As far as I concerned, this is total Bull [censored]. If tire techs take time to position stem 90deg from bead breaker no damage will occur. When removing and replacing beads on wheel, if area directly at stem is first pulled over dismount tool when removing and is tha last place to drop down when re-installing no damage will occur.

The large shops follow these guidelines to the letter and charge accordingly, mostly to cover their arse from improper tech actions in case of customer complaints, but also to generate a few bucks extra revenue.

Bob

By the way, if a new plain jane, rubber stem is required while fixing a flat or for any other reason other than when new tire is installed,, we still charge a buck.

If or when tire pressure monitoring systems become federally mandated, this means that no tire place can replace your tire if the sensor stops working. The sensor would need to be replaced before they start work on the tire.

Given the quality of auto parts made to last only through warranty, this adds another level of expense during tire service, thanks to the people who are too lazy to check their tire pressure.

Make sure to buy stock in Johnson Controls, who are poised to supply the market, before this becomes mandated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back