Suggestion for Pablo to pass along to Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if Amsoil has considered offering a combined Fuel System Cleaner & UCL product that can be used on a continuous basis? RLI, LCD, Lucas, Red Line, Sea Foam, MMO and many, many others must be doing well enough to stay in business, so there is obviously a demand for these products out there.

Don't get me wrong, Amsoil PI is a great product, but it is not geared towards continuous use. PI is more of a reactive solution, in that it cleans after the buildup of combustion chamber deposits has already occurred. I understand that in doing so it also reduces the overall buildup of these deposits over time, but none should argue that PI is marketed as a product that restores lost performance and improves fuel efficiency through the removal of existing deposits.

It seems like a continuous treat product would be more in line with Amsoil's philosophy of dealing with issues on a proactive rather than reactive basis.

Just my .02 cents worth

Let me throw in my opinion. Perpetual treatments on a per tank basis is really a challenge for anyone. If there was anything other than a narrow niche market for such things, you would see them in the chain stores. It's just not practical for anyone outside of (maybe) over the road/construction level fueling. Now demographics could play a role here in that fueling stops may start to be every other week or so for many, but for your 4-5 day fill up type commuter, it's adding one more complication to a very packed life.

Now if there was some "implant" that you could put in fuel that would naturally meet some osmotic equilibrium in the tank (like a "heel" is with soda ash when making caustic by just adding water to the tank) then you cold just come up with a annual or semi annual add rate, then you're on to something.

..but I don't see why you couldn't cut PI with some compatible carrier and distribute it over each tankful as opposed to the 4k treat rate. I think the 4k treat rate is a little heavy myself, but you've got to configure "one size fits all" into the equation.

Gary has a point.

Q: Is the long term use of some of those products 100% safe? I'm not saying it's unsafe but one of those contains the same cleaner as Amsoil PI. Seems like whatever is in fuel additives has a way of getting into the oil.

But I see what you are saying about a certain market segment needing a continuous cleaner/booster/UCL. There is AOB Octane Boost, but it contains MMT. If you don't mind the Mg, you could mix in a little 2-stroke oil and have interesting additive that you could blow out every so often with some PI!

Amsoil use to have that very product. It was called P.i. Gasoline Additive "The Performance Improver". One bottle treated 160 gallons and it "Cleaned dirty injectors and intake valves". On initial clean-up the treat rate was 6 oz per 10 gallons of gas, and on the maintenance keep-clean, the treat rate was 1 oz per 10 gallons. Believe the product code was API-BF. I still have two full cases of the product. It always seemed to work well and never quite understood why they dropped it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
There is AOB Octane Boost, but it contains MMT. If you don't mind the Mg...

Mn

Quote:
It always seemed to work well and never quite understood why they dropped it.

Now this is just me here, but I think any perpetual add type product is counter to the direction that most Amsoil products are geared to. Just about everything is set to make things less complicated. Not that you can do this with everything. Stuff can and will fall into some frequency of need that may be outside (inside, I guess) of "extended" ..but that's where most of the products are pointed, so to speak. In some cases there's an endurance under fire usage.

..but that said, in my case a bottle of PI would work out to about 1oz per tank. That's doable ..in a fashion ..but get someone with 30 mpg and a 10 gallon tank and you're using a thimble for measuring.

Is there any reason to think that PI wouldn't work "in process" as opposed to a dedicated treatment tank of assumed high concentration?

Gary:

my apologies for not listing you on the title line of this thread. Your insight on varous subjects is always informative and I enjoy reading your posts.

With respect, I believe that there is more than a niche market for continuous treat fuel system cleaner and UCL products. In fact, I feel that the demand for these types of products will grow at an exponential rate as long as gasoline hovers around $4 per gallon. I see the price of gasoline ranging from $3 to $5 per gallon for the foreseeable future. Designing and building a single process unit at an existing oil refinery can take several years to complete from start to finish.

Here locally (Pasadena Texas), Walmart, Autozone, Pep Boys and Advance Auto Parts all sell Lucas UCL. Pep Boys is the only retail outlet that I have found, however, that sells Red Line's SI-1 locally. These stores, and many other retail outlets, stock a lot of different fuel system cleaner and UCL products as well. Many seem to be nothing more than snake oil, but someone must be buying them or they would not be taking up valuable retail shelf space for very long.

With the above in mind, I think it is fair to say that continuous treat fuel system cleaner and UCL products are already being sold in mainstream chain outlets accordingly.

I recently posted to ask if I could use a reduced amount of Amsoil PI on a continuous basis. Because it contains a solvent, however, most responded that it should not be used in a manner that is inconsistent with its labeling. I do not believe that Amsoil PI contains a UCL either, but that may not be a true statement.

Anyway, I would like to thank you once again for replying to this thread and I welcome feedback and corrections if I have misstated something.

55.gif
No problem here.
55.gif

You may be correct in that there will be (or is) a movement toward continuous fuel treat rates. I'm lazy and would rather see another modality used to handle this, but I'm locked into the confines of this realty (at the moment). Diesel users have had options for continuous fuel adds for as long as I can remember. They have the scale of economy where a 250-500 treat rate is doable with a 1 gallon purchase and one time add.

I'm not acquainted with Lucas UCL ..but I imagine it's a light lubricant that would leave no residuals at the prescribed treat rate. I'm sure that most of the carriers for Amsoil PI or Regane, Techron ..are all lighter oils (like kero or lighter) merely to distribute the compact additive over a usable volume. I think PI's additive level is something like 4k ppm ...which leaves a healthy amount of hydrocarbon based carrier to take up the vacancy room in the bottle ..so the only think lacking for sensible continuous usage is the volume of light oil ..or so I would reason.

Who knows ..you may see such a product from Amsoil if demand is worth the packaging.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I will pass your suggestion on, no doubt about it!

Thanks Pablo! I forgot to mention that I enjoy reading your posts as well and I meant no disrespect by failing to mention you in my reply to Gary.

I am guessing that Amsoil could reduce, or even eliminate, the solvent from their existing PI formula and then add a high quality UCL to make an exceptional continuous treat product. Selling the formula in quart and/or gallon bottles, packaged with a reusable "One Shot" container, would make this product really easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back