Gas saving tips (cbc.ca)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best gas saving tip is to select a fuel efficient vehicle in the first place. The number of people with 6,000 pound 300hp SUVs that are used to drop the kids off at school and go to the grocery store is ridiculous.

Drive a fuel efficient vehicle, and then learn to drive it efficiently. The difference in driving style in my subaru is quite noticeable... Aggressive driving gets me 27mpg, but slow down a bit and use cruise control more and I reach 30 on a daily commute. EPA on my car is rated 19/26 too so I know I'm breaking records :)

What irritates me is people that drive these big vehicles like maniacs and then complain about the gas mileage.

"My tahoe only gets 5mpg"
"Well duh, I just watched you take off wide open from all 8 stoplights that are 500 feet apart"

And yes I've had that conversation. In my opinion, people that drive fast have no grounds for complaining about gas mileage and prices.

No matter what one drives it a good lesson to regularly try and get the best mileage/economy out of it. To drive a good economy car and NOT keep the car in tune and such will waste as much gas as an SUV.

My Durango with the 4.7 will get and easy 18-22.2 MPG on the highway. It can go from Hacienda Heights all the way to Arizona on one tank. Too me that's pretty good.

In addition people just have to slow down on the freeways. Even at these ridulious gas prices now a days people just won't slow down. So it's not what one drives it how one drives it.

Durango

My Jeep Liberty get 14 mpg on a cool day, with a tail wind, and going downhill in neutral. It practically laughs at me when I go fill up every week. It only has a 3.7L engine but apparently fuel economy was not on the engineers list of to-do's when they designed that vehicle. 16 city and 22 highway... NOT lol.

Last edited:
I agree, there is going to be a push to reduce the national speed limit t0 55 or 60 even on major interstate highways. I concur with Durango, I have a 06 durango with the 4.7 and with steady driving without uneven throttle use can get 18 to 20 mpg. This is a very heavy vehicle with a third seat and full time all wheel drive. Quaker State peak performance in 5w-30 really works will in this engine. It is when you drive around town that the mileage really takes a hit. Down to 10 or 11 mpg.

RedOak,

I found the best MPG for our SUV's is to drive no faster than 65MPH and using the overhead computer just watch the average miles per gallon go up little by little as you drive.

My next annual trip will be around late November so after than I'll post my figures from that trip. I'm going for 21.2 MPG this time.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back