2004 Isuzu Rodeo Tranmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
:p

Looking to find out if I must use the "Genuine Isuzu ATF" fluid specified in my Aisin Tranny for this 04 Rodeo with the 3.5 Direct Inject Engine. The owners manual says I should ONLY use the Isuzu ATF. I should not use DEXRON III I went to my local Isuzu dealership and they claim there is none available anywhere in the county for them to order!!! They said I could use "regular" transmssion fluid, whatever that is.

It looks like the tranmission is the AW30-40LS. Is there an alternate fluid? Or an additive that I can use with some other standard fluid?

I see there is some TSB related to this: All Data has the number as IB04-05-S001 MAR 04, Edmunds has it listed as 0405S001. The summary on says: "SCS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10006652 )"

The Isuzu currently offers two (2) types of Automatic Transmission Fluids these are specific to the transmission type. The new "Slip Control System" (SCS) Aisin transmission mated to the Direct Injection (DI) 3. 5L engine requires a specialized "Slip Control System" (SCS) fluid. This fluid has been developed to work in conjunction with the new torque converter clutch material to provide a positive shift and reduce wear. The new Isuzu SCS Automatic Transmission Fluid needs to be used whenever a SCS Aisin transmission is serviced (see figure 1).
NOTE: The SCS Automatic Transmission Fluid is currently available through AIPDN in quarts (p/n 2-90531-200-0) and 5-gallon (p/n 2-90531-201-0) containers. Refer to parts bulletin no. AIPDN-PTS-SUV26-03 for additional information.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Gregorioz!!

Probably a JWS3309/T-IV type fluid. Check your local Toyota dealership for "T-IV" fluid.

Greg, I've been out of the Isuzu Rodeo loop for a few years now, but owned a 2002 and had a 2003 and several 2001+ Troopers in the family. You've got a rare beast there, but a great engine and trans in your 2004. Much better than the GM 4L30E used in the previous models. Personally, I would use what ever ATF Toyota specs for their trucks. Toyota uses Aisin Warner transmissions. I'm not buying the special "SCS" thing. You're likely never to find genuine Isuzu ATF. Isuzu NA has been kaput for a few years now.

Joel

Thank JTK and Critic.

I think the you are both right on the Aisin / Toyota connection. This exact model of Transmission appears to be used in some Toyotas overseas, specifically the Toyota Regius minivan.

Greg, that's all I'd do. Run the ATF Toyota specs. You'll be good to go. How do you like that direct injected 3.5L? What kind of MPG are you getting? DI eliminated the need for EGR on the Isuzu 3.2/3.5 which is great. Just watch the oil consumption and those 3.5s last forever. The only 'problem' with the DI 3.5L is VERY few of them were built. A few thousand at best. Parts are going to be scarce as time goes on. They are very different from the 1998-2003, non DI 3.2/3.5s.

Joel

Thanks everyone. I am sold on the Toyota T-IV ATF as the solution. To answer JTK. I think the vehicle is great. The engine runs smooth. I used to have a 1998 Trooper which seemed to be indestructible I am hoping the same for this rodeo. As for MPG. Early reports show about 17-18 in the City and 20-23 on the Highway.

Originally Posted By: gregorioz
Early reports show about 17-18 in the City and 20-23 on the Highway.

Hey not bad! My 2002 3.2L topped out around 21mpg. They are heavy little buggers though. That was the best truck/SUV/4x4 I ever owned. We miss it still.

Joel

Amsoil Product ID: ATFQT-EA
Product Name: Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid
Attributes (if any):
Price: $7.75

Works also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back