Hard disk duplication software for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many years ago it was Ghost. That was gobbled up by the big N.
Other software like Partition Magic were also capable.

Those were commercial packages of yesteryear.

Can you recommend any free or low cost software today to replicate a live hard disk in Windows XP? I've bumped into several for Linux.

The objective is to create a "backup disk" of my working system that can be swapped with the current disk to recover from a crash with only recent data files to recover.

I don't have hardware issues, just seeking the software.

TIA!

It is XP Pro. Are you referring to the "Backup Utility" program?
I don't see an option to create an image per se, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Last edited:
It's not obvious. If you select the c: drive and include all files, it will create a full backup, including XP itself. Then to restore, you need to make the target drive bootable, usually by doing a install, followed by a full restore. A disk image program is probably simpler, I believe there are some linux tools that will do that via a bootable cd.

I do the XP backup once a month to a USB drive. It takes a while so I do it just before I go to bed and let it run all night.

Hope this helps some.

Acronis, DriveImage, or you can use a linux LiveCD and use DD or many of the other partition/drive duplications programs available under the GNU that are included on these CD's.

gparted live cd. You do a drive sector copy to the new drive and use the included dd cmd to copy the MBR and partition tables as needed.

Thanks, everyone.

DriveImage XML copied it.

The target disk appears to have all the contents of the source.

Remaining problem is the target disk will not boot. It is partitioned correctly.

In the old days a quick use of fdisk would solve this problem. Windows XP recovery console didn't do the trick for me here.

Suggestions?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Thanks, everyone.

Remaining problem is the target disk will not boot. It is partitioned correctly.

In the old days a quick use of fdisk would solve this problem. Windows XP recovery console didn't do the trick for me here.

Suggestions?

Use "dd" from the gparted live cd, it will move the partion tables and MBR. I assume you only need the MBR.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Thanks, everyone.

Suggestions?

Did you accidentally choose Copy rather than Replace? If so, it hides the partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back