Redline Engine break-in additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp

Quote:
provides conventional motor oils with antiwear additives like zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) necessary to protect against camshaft and valvetrain damage on break-in.

This is especially important in flat-tappet engines where bigger camshafts grinds and higher valve spring pressures are now popular. This additive is designed to allow pistons rings to seat properly, while allowing other engines components to avoid excessive wear.

A 16oz bottle treats up to 12 quarts of motor oil, so in many cases one bottle can serve two different engines. This product can also be used in conventional and synthetic oils during regular operation, providing an extra package of protection otherwise not found in most motor oils.

This is the additive I wanted several years ago and suggested to Redline they make it. I gave up on them and bought a bunch of SLOB instead. Well for the price, I guess I did okay for $1 and $2 a bottle SLOB pints. It's not listed on the product data sheets, so can't tell what cSt is or zinc, phosphorus, etc levels are. This stuff is worthy of a VOA though.

I know if I see a bottle of this stuff on the shelf, I won't be able to resist purchasing it. But I don't know if I want to spring for a VOA when I won't be able to use it with my huge SLOB collection. OTOH, if the Redline is so good, then maybe I should sell off the SLOB. Hmmm, maybe give some to my brother for his Mustangs. Well, first thing is a call to Dave at Redline to see if he will give out any additive level info.

I don't understand though how you can just add this stuff to a formulated oil and not disrupt the "balance" of the oil? ZDP additives come across as if they can be just thrown into an oil and you automatically gain protection for flat tappet engines.

Originally Posted By: buster
I don't understand though how you can just add this stuff to a formulated oil and not disrupt the "balance" of the oil? ZDP additives come across as if they can be just thrown into an oil and you automatically gain protection for flat tappet engines.

You can probably bring a current motor oil with, say, 800 ppm of phosphorous up to 1200 ppm with a properly formulated ZDDP (zinc dithiophosphate) additive like the GM EOS.

That would put it in the same class as pre-SM oils, motorcycle oils, and the like.

I'd be hesitant to tip the bottle too much, though.

Too much ZDDP can have deleterious effects on engine wear, and past a certain point you may run into additive dropout.

It seems easier to just buy a high additive motor oil like RedLine or Delvac 1 or one of the motorcycle oils.

Originally Posted By: buster
I think the balance is in the additive package. Mixing two different balanced additive packages probably is going to result in a balance in the mix.

""I don't understand though how you can just add this stuff to a formulated oil and not disrupt the "balance" of the oil?""

Cause a few 100 ppm more of ZDDP that is used in oils anyway will not hurt a thing or unbalance anything. Since its already there. Just can go to high perhaps over 2,000 or so
bruce

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
paul, i already taked with dave zinc 9000ppm and phos 7500 ppm and no moly
Thanks much. I sort of lost track of this thread. Only re-found it because I was stalking Bruce's posts (
LOL.gif
).

Well, those are nice numbers. I like the adds where you really don't have to add a whole lot. The Redline is about twice as potent as SLOB. 8 oz of the Redline in a 6 qt sump would give a nice boost of over 300 ppm.

ordered a bottle today, prod send off a sample for voa soon as it comes in. keep ya posted. heard this stuff has good a base..

I'm bringing up Cam-Shield again... Because I believe it to have the most ZDDP.
"At least 30% more than ZDDPlus" per Tim @ Cam-Shield. 1/4 ounce of Cam-Shield adds 800 ppm of Zinc (from ZDDP) to a quart of oil.

everyone cracks trying to quantify a additive by how much Zn it has, more being better.

A basic ZDDP is about 100,000-150,000 ppm Zn is a liquid and pourable and avalible so why not sell that?

maybe no one does.

bruce

Originally Posted By: bruce381
A basic ZDDP is about 100,000-150,000 ppm Zn is a liquid and pourable and avalible so why not sell that?
bruce
I'm salivating over this one. A gallon would last me a lifetime, perhaps. Just need a medicine dropper to dose my oil.
grin2.gif

Never hear of cam-shield have to check that out. I posted a VOA of crane cams superlube a while back, if i recall correctly 0.1 oz/qt raised zinc ~400ppm. Most concentrated stuff I could find. Sounds pretty close to this cam-shield....

Super Lube;
Phos 130780
Zn 127480
moly 100
sodium 400
cSt visc @ 100 C 17.38
flashpoint 405

I KNOW MAYBE I SHOULD TRY LUCAS BREAK IN LUBE.....

wow cam-shield $22 for 8 oz crane cams superlube $15, but cam-shield has a cooler bottle : )

Cam-shield(TM) is THE premium blend of primary and secondary ZDDP for full
temperature range coverage (cold start to hot operation) protection of your
cam and lifters. Chemical analysis by ASTM D-5185 ICP of Cam-shield(TM) will
indicate Zinc at 88,000 ppm; which is far more concentrated than any other
ZDDP product available (example GM EOS at approximately 6000 ppm). This is
why only 1/4 ounce of Cam-shield(TM) per quart is needed to give an 800 ppm
Zinc up-treat to current API SM oils with approximately 850 ppm Zinc. The
resulting finished oil Zinc concentration will be 1600 ppm Zinc, perfect for
protection of flat tappet cam engines ranging from flat heads to small
blocks to big blocks. If racing or new cam break-in is the order of the day,
then Cam-shield(TM) at 1/2 ounce per quart is used to give a 1600 ppm
up-treat to API SM oil. Cam-shield is very concentrated so that we don't add
filler to the engine oil which would change its performance characteristics.
Please let us know if we can answer any more questions for you.
Best regards,
Tim
Cam-shield(TM)

Originally Posted By: Taylor
Chemical analysis by ASTM D-5185 ICP of Cam-shield(TM) will
indicate Zinc at 88,000 ppm

Is that even possible? What is the molecular weight of ZDDP and other zinc-containing AW additives? Can it be that there is so much of it in a liquid additive that the elemental zinc by itself is 9% by weight of the total?

SM oil gets the [censored] beaten out of it to receive the api certification...i have put over 450,000 miles on my new engines without a engine break in additive

But see this isn't for new engines this is for rebuilt old engines that have things such as flat tappet cams and power mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back