General Tire's Exclaim UHP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, General Exclaim UHP's are what I bought. They're getting installed Friday.

They did get beat by those two tires in the dry, but beat the Yoko's in the wet. I also read that the Yoko's get really, really loud after a few thousand miles, and that the Generals don't get too loud. I will know for myself in a couple months.

I'm not concerned about winter grip because of my Blizzak snow tires going on at Thanksgiving. However, if I have to make the trek home in a snow squall, the tire ought to offer at least some grip. Unlike the other 2 tires in the TireRack test.

I usually wait a bit longer for snows. We've seen snow as early as Halloween, but it does not last long...just lke in springtime. Since I run all-seasons, I basicly am good until after New Years (I can take the long Christmas highway vists on all-seasons) and then I wait until about Mar 1 to take them off. I want them to last 3 good seasons.

Around me, the weather gets unpredictable around Thanksgiving. It has been known to be warm in the morning and flurrying in the afternoon. Hence why the stores run out of snow tires by early December. A lot of salt gets put down early on, and I don't want to get aluminum rims coated with salt.

Weather is extremly unpredicable here in Wisconsin too. That's the only reason I can't fully commit to summer tires. I acctually did with this Sumitimo HTR200, but it's not always working out. Switched to them in spring and one week later we got snow storm, I had to call in work. So all season performance is sensible solution.

After driving about 200 miles on the Generals, I have a few words to say about them:

These are a very grippy tire. Period. Wet or dry does not matter. It does not like corners much, though. The sidewalls are quite soft, meaning that high pressure is needed to make them stiff enough for cornering. They can take the pressure, though. 51 psi max. And they look good. A very good buy for the price.

Having had the tires on for about a month now and putting on about 1000 miles, a few other words to say.

My initial impressions were correct. This tire is very good for lighter cars (99 Hyundai Elantra wagon), and likes a lot of air pressure. Works well in the rain, and doesn't mind colder temperatures. A decent summer tire that can be used up until the snow flies.

When I had the tire on the car, it rode very well, cornered like heck, and felt very confident when the pressure was above 40 PSI. The only issue looked to be the need to rotate very frequently, as 5k miles showed some noticeable wear on the fronts. Unfortunately I no longer have the car, as it was claimed in a winter accident. So long-term impressions will have to wait.

I have my set off the car right now, but overall think they are great for the money and hear the same from guys whose opinon I trust. I'm actually looking forward to putting them back on early in Fall.

I'm actually looking for something with better treadwear/longevity from the Toyo T1-S's that are on it now. I destroyed these Toyos in a few track days, though they are extraordinarily sticky. Too sticky even....they wore out really fast, and sometimes it's fun to break the tires loose, which it is almost impossible to do with tires this sticky.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
summer tires on in the early fall? Am I missing something?

JMH

When should I put them on, next year?

I've decided on a set of General Exclaim UHP as well. We rarely get snow...winter the last three years here has been in the 40+ range. At $86 per tire with a $50 rebate, it was too hard to pass up.

There going on Tuesday, I'll report back on the difference with my current tire (Avon M550).

These things are absolutely horrible after 10k miles. The sidewall is thicker than most and very stiff, but the ride was compliant until 10k. I guess the first layer of rubber/silcone/??? wore off and became very loud. On certain roads it sends vibrations through the car. I eventually had them rebalanced and found out that at 30k miles they were due to be replaced.

Since then I've lowered the tire pressure from 35psi to 30psi and the ride is a bit more comfortable under 60mph. Over 60mph there even worse than at 10k miles. I can't wait to get rid of them.

On the plus side, the traction is great but the weight of the tire (almost 30pds each) causes the car to steer and feel heavy.

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE
I've decided on a set of General Exclaim UHP as well. We rarely get snow...winter the last three years here has been in the 40+ range. At $86 per tire with a $50 rebate, it was too hard to pass up.

There going on Tuesday, I'll report back on the difference with my current tire (Avon M550).

These things are absolutely horrible after 10k miles. The sidewall is thicker than most and very stiff, but the ride was compliant until 10k. I guess the first layer of rubber/silcone/??? wore off and became very loud. On certain roads it sends vibrations through the car. I eventually had them rebalanced and found out that at 30k miles they were due to be replaced.

Since then I've lowered the tire pressure from 35psi to 30psi and the ride is a bit more comfortable under 60mph. Over 60mph there even worse than at 10k miles. I can't wait to get rid of them.

On the plus side, the traction is great but the weight of the tire (almost 30pds each) causes the car to steer and feel heavy.

Are you referencing the Avon or Generals?

Avon M550 are my current tire (and are not good).

I will provide a review the General's when I get them on.

If my drive into work (from the tire install) is any indication of the next 30K miles, I will be very happy with these tires.

Can you hear that? Neither could I, the tires were very quiet on the highway. Driving over the dotted yellow line of the passing lane used to send sharp bumps/stabs and vibrations into the interior...no more. Speeds above 55MPH resulted in horrible vibration and noise...gone.

Not to mention that at 22 pds each, they are 5 pds lighter than my Avon M550s (OEM were 25 pds). You can instantly feel a difference in slow speed turning. I'll hold off final judgement until we hit > 10K miles.

you should gain some mpg also with these light tires.
Arghh...Monday for mounting mine's...long wait.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tripleM
you should gain some mpg also with these light tires.
Arghh...Monday for mounting mine's...long wait.

Don't be surprised if you experience some loss with your new tires.

New tires have higher RR values than worn tires - even if they are otherwise identical. It has to do with the volume of rubber being moved as the tire rolls through the footprint.

Also, if you change from an OE tire to a tire designed for the replacement market, the tread rubber in a replacement market tire is designed to give good wear, and that's done by sacrificing RR.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Don't be surprised if you experience some loss with your new tires.

New tires have higher RR values than worn tires - even if they are otherwise identical. It has to do with the volume of rubber being moved as the tire rolls through the footprint.

Also, if you change from an OE tire to a tire designed for the replacement market, the tread rubber in a replacement market tire is designed to give good wear, and that's done by sacrificing RR.

Agreed. My assumption is that with the tire weighing less, it may cancel out some of that RR from them being new and sticky summer tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back