5W30 comparisons - Suggest your favorite..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to run a variety of 5w30 weight products in my 5.3L and get UOAs for each of them. I can typically put 1000+ miles/week on my vehicle and want to compare a variety of oils at either 4K or 5K intervals. My company reimburses me for the oil and filters and I will pay for the UOAs. My car is relatively new and I can test a variety of products in short order....so it is a good test situation.

I would like to compare 4 or 5 oils back-to-back to see what type of wear numbers are generated (using an AC Delco filter on each). I am currently running Castrol GTX at 15K miles and have about 2K miles left in a 4K OCI. I will send off the GTX for a baseline UOA. I don't want to test 10 products as it will get expensive, but 4 or 5 would be OK.

If you are interested...post your suggestions for a 5w30 for comparison. I would like to include MC and possibly Castrol Syntec (the much hated Group III imposter). My Tahoe is still under warranty, so that is something to keep in mind.

I think that it will be fun and informative. I will keep a running log for everyone to view. If you have any suggestions on how to structure the comparison or anything else....please post it.

Sounds great!
The synthetics are better for long oil change intervals, so 4-5k won't really push them to their limits and see who's tougher. I surmise the differences would be small at short intervals.

This sounds like a great idea! I would like to suggest that you include Mobil Clean 5000 and Mobil Clean 7500 in your test. We don't have a single UOA or VOA on either oil yet. I would also like to suggest using a 5,000 mile oil change interval. I am sure that we all are looking forward to the reslults of your comparison.

cheers.gif

My suggestions:

SuperTech
Chevron Supreme (or Havoline)
Pennzoil
Castrol GTX
Motorcraft

In no particular order.

The only problem is, UOAs really aren't going to have a significant result, particularly with just one oil change per brand. There are WAY too many variables that could cause high wear numbers and are completely out of the oil's control - e.g. type of driving, type of air filter, etc., etc.

Motul 300v 5w-30. I use it so would be interested in how it compares with the others, whatever they may be.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
My suggestions:

SuperTech
Chevron Supreme (or Havoline)
Pennzoil
Castrol GTX
Motorcraft

In no particular order.

I second this....but maybe instead of motorcraft you use valvoline durablend. There's already info on the new Conoco oil (of which motorcraft is one) but nothing about the new GF-4 Durablend which so many of us on this site use due to its great price (free). I also think a lot of people LOVE seeing analysis of anything SuperTech. Just my $.02

I would choose one of those also. I have used Motorcraft and Chevron with no problems. Maybe try the new Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend? Most of their 5w30 bottles should say it right on it. They are usually pretty cheap too; 1.52 at Wally World. Chevron Supreme is growing scarce around here, just picked up the last two cases for under 15$ each. Havoline is also an excellent choice and moneysaver.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
The only problem is, UOAs really aren't going to have a significant result, particularly with just one oil change per brand. There are WAY too many variables that could cause high wear numbers and are completely out of the oil's control - e.g. type of driving, type of air filter, etc., etc.

I, for the most part, agree. You really need at least 2, better yet 3 in a row to see if the results are a fluke or repeatable.

Will your company pay for Mobil 1 Extended Performance (~$6/qt) every 5K miles? If they will, I predict you'll win the BITOG popularity award.

I'm seeing Motorcraft, Phillips 66, and Conoco 5W-30 GF-4 (I assume) oils being mentioned here. Aren't all three of these oils the same?
Thanks.

My list:

Chevron or Havoline
Phillips Trop Artic
Mobil DC (SM GF-4)

And of course my top personal fav, Schaeffer's Supreme

quote:

Originally posted by NewGuy:
I can test a variety of products in short order.

I don't want to test 10 products as it will get expensive, but 4 or 5 would be OK.

Throw a high-mileage oil into the mix...

quote:

Originally posted by NewGuy:
Keep sending your suggestions and I will post the UOAs. I will drain the GTX in about 2 weeks. I have MC and/or Syntec ready to go.

I'm on my "Kendall kick" these days. The 5w-30 GT-1 synthetic looks pretty good.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

Furor: n. A general commotion; public disorder or uproar. [Middle English furour, wrath, fury, from Old French fureur, from Latin furor, from furere, to rage.]

Citgo, Citgo, Citgo!!!

Probably one of the best additive packages (on paper) per $

Frequently seen on sale in our area for < $0.75/qt.

Dave

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions. It looks like Havoline and SuperTech are on lots of minds. I am not sure where to buy Schaeffers or Trop Artic, I will have to look for them. I might run one of those M1 EP products at the end. I don't think it will be an issue in a newer engine will it?

I might run the M1 EP 7500 miles and get a UOA, but it will take 6 months to run 5K mile OCIs on the other four oils.

Keep sending your suggestions and I will post the UOAs. I will drain the GTX in about 2 weeks. I have MC and/or Syntec ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back