Honda Odyssey...Which Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently in the process of doing an ARX treatment. I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey. When looking up oil filters for the ARX treatment, I get a Purolator L14459. This cross-referrences with Wix 51334 and Amsoil EaO20.

BUT, if I use Amsoils website, the product application guide says to use an Amsoil EaO13 or Wix 51356.

I don't want to ASSume that the EaO20 is a better fit because it is a bigger filter.

Which filter should I use for this application.

Please don't just answer bigger is better....

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I am currently in the process of doing an ARX treatment. I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey. When looking up oil filters for the ARX treatment, I get a Purolator L14459. This cross-referrences with Wix 51334 and Amsoil EaO20.

BUT, if I use Amsoils website, the product application guide says to use an Amsoil EaO13 or Wix 51356.

I don't want to ASSume that the EaO20 is a better fit because it is a bigger filter.

Which filter should I use for this application.

Please don't just answer bigger is better....

I don't think it makes much of a difference. I run the 20 on the TL even though it calls for a 13 because it's a little bigger and bigger is better lol. Seriously though, I think all newer Hondas with the exception of the S2000 call for the 13 sized filter.

I use the 51356 on my odyssey. It filters better than the 51334. My oil looks a lot better since Ive used it after switching from honda filters so try it you'll like it.

Okay, I'm new to talking about oil and I'm sure with a little Googling - I could decipher what has been said in this thread thus far. But, at the chance of getting my feet wet in here, could someone translate the consensus? I too have a Honda Odyssey ('06) 25K - this coming weekend, putting in Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend. What filter should I purchase?

Thanks, Orko

I think the SuperTech filter will work great if they carry it for your car. It is less expensive and better than most. Maybe some others will have some feedback as well.

Originally Posted By: leftlane
I use the 51356 on my odyssey. It filters better than the 51334. My oil looks a lot better since Ive used it after switching from honda filters so try it you'll like it.

What makes a Wix 51356 filter better than a Wix 51334? What did you see that makes you believe it filters better? I am curious, because I still am not sure.

I am pretty sure that in the long run, I am going to use the Amsoil EaO13. It is what Amsoil recommends, so that has to mean something. It also is the cross-match with the Wix 51356 which you say filters better, even though it is a smaller filter.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: leftlane

What makes a Wix 51356 filter better than a Wix 51334? What did you see that makes you believe it filters better?

Because it looks a lot better as I said. This is why the 51356 filters better than the 51334. Compare the beta ratios and you will see the 51356 filters 9-16 micron sized particles while the 51334 filters 22-40. The 51356 also has a higher burst pressure.

Part Number: 51356
Height: 3.402
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/19
Burst Pressure-PSI: 363
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Part Number: 51334
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top: 3.252
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Beta Ratio: 2/20=22/40
Burst Pressure-PSI: 280
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Ah, thanks for the information. I appriciate it. That helps a lot. I think I will just stick with the smaller, more efficient filter for sure.

Very interesting.. I wonder if I should try the 1356, my car is specified to use the 1334 but they apparently have the same thread & gasket...

Youre welcome coop.

My car specifies the 51334 also but there's no question I'll use another filter if it does a better job and so far I havent been able to find one better than the 51356.

Originally Posted By: coffee
I think the SuperTech filter will work great if they carry it for your car. It is less expensive and better than most.

Yep they sure do. I've got one waiting to go on my 2008 Ody, along with a batch of ST 5w20. Honda's OLM runs a bit conservative. I'm at 40% with 4Kmi on the ODO. No need for anything more $ than ST for my needs.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back