Castrol Volvo-Specific Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are numerous versions of SLX in Europe. There's one for GM, one for BMW, one for VW. I'm not surprised they've released one for Volvo as well, just to make it harder for the customer to be able to buy it in the store and force him to go buy it from the Volvo dealer where he'll pay even more for it.

Some of the specs of all these various SLX versions appear to be different as well.

I have been asking about this oil as well. Here is some of the info I found out:
read this thread

Here is the data sheet they sent me. PM me if you want me to email it to you:
---------------------------------

SLX R-Tec
Recommended by Volvo Cars

Applications

Castrol SLX R-Tec is a synthetic 0W-30 engine oil, recommended by Volvo cars for extended as well as normal drain intervals.

Castrol SLX R-Tec has a unique formulation which ensures a clean engine and low fuel consumption over the whole service interval.

Castrol SLX R-Tec is backwards compatible for earlier Volvo models requiring use of an ACEA A1/B1 engine lubricant.

Main Benefits

Recommended by Volvo Cars and giving:-

Proven fuel economy benefits
Excellent thermal and oxidative stability for longer engine life
Engine cleanliness assured

Specifications

ACEA A5/B5
API SL
ILSAC GF-2

Storage

All packages should be stored under cover. Where outside storage is unavoidable drums should be laid horizontally to avoid the possible ingress of water and
the obliteration of drum markings. Products should not be stored above 60°C, exposed to hot sun or freezing conditions.

Health, Safety and Environment

Health, safety and environmental information is provided for this product in the Materials Safety Data Sheet. This gives details of potential hazards, precautions and First Aid measures, together with environmental effects and disposal of used products.

BP p.l.c. or its subsidiaries will not accept liability if the product is used other than in the manner or with the precautions or for the purpose/s specified. Before the product is used other than as directed, advice should be obtained from the local BP office.

Typical Characteristics

code:

Test Methods Units Grade :

SAE 0W-30

code:

Test Method(s) Unit Typical

Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 0.8437

Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 9.8

Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 56

Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 160

Viscosity, CCS -35C (0W) ASTM D5293 cP 5950

Calcium, % wt ASTM D4951 % wt 0.202

Phosphorus, % wt ASTM D4951 % wt 0.101

Zinc, % wt ASTM D4951 % wt 0.108

Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 213

Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -54

Viscosity, HTHS 150C CEC-L-14-A-97 cP 2.98

This Data Sheet and information it contains is considered to be accurate at the date of printing. No warranty or representation, expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy or completeness of the data and information contained in this publication.

It is the User's obligation to evaluate and use products safely and within the scope advised in the data sheet and to comply with all applicable laws and regulations. No statement made in this publication shall be construed as a permission, recommendation or authorisation given or implied to practice any patented invention without a valid licence.

The Seller shall not be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from any hazards or risks identified in the data sheet and which are associated with petroleum products concerned (provided that this disclaimer shall not affect any statutory rights of the Buyer of the petroleum products concerned).

Date Created: 14/05/2004 08:41:14 Last Modified:27/09/2004

Compared to the viscosity of regular SLX which is about 12.2 @ 100C, this SLX-R is pretty thin, much like the SLX LongLife used in VW/Audi cars equipped with the variable oil change interval.

FYI, my local Volvo dealer is still using Castrol TWS 10w-60 as part of the standard maintenance.

Yes, I was worried about using Mobil 1 xW-30 because it was too thin. Not after seeing this. Specs are very close to Mobil 1 0W-30, with M1 actually being nominally thicker at 10.3 cSt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back