Castrol Syntec 5W-30, 4650 mi , Chrysler 2.7 L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet another oil run in this engine. My first run of Castrol Syntec.

NOTE : for the entire run, this engine saw heavy use of fuel additives in an attempt to eliminate pinging (and it worked). At no time during the run did the gas tank NOT have an additive in it. Two tanks with a full bottle of Redline SI-1, 2 tanks with full bottle of Techron; all other tanks had Redline SI-1 at the normal treatment dosage.

TBN - didn't request one this time around. I have enough TBN data anyway.
Fuel at 2% : first time ever. Possibly due to heavy use of fuel additives. We'll see what the next analysis brings.
Virgin oil sample had 2 ppm Iron, 4 ppm Silicon, 100 deg cst of 9.70 and 40 deg cst of 57.1. VOA posted separately.

Intrepid%20Oil%20Analysis%20to%20April%202007.gif

Iron seems high.

Just a curiosity question I meant to ask in another section of the forum...why do you run "short" OCIs on the synthetic oils? Is that motor particularly hard on oil?

Quote:

Iron seems high.

Not really. Remember that there was 2 ppm in the virgin oil, leaving 6 ppm contributed during the run. And that's close to the 5 ppm that was present in the past few analysis.

Quote:

Just a curiosity question I meant to ask in another section of the forum...why do you run "short" OCIs on the synthetic oils? Is that motor particularly hard on oil?

Yea it is. The 2.7 has a notorious history of early failures. Most of them never make it as far as this one has, although a few do. It's quite expensive to rebuild or replace. They run hot and lean; it has 4 camshafts, 24 valves, 3 timing chains and 8 sprockets internally, and it's and interference engine. And it has an internal water pump that can leak directly into the crankcase - which is the main reason for the testing frequency at this mileage. This motor is also notorious for high and low temperature sludging.

I admit that I'm a bit gun-shy of stretching out the OCI interval just based on the engine's history. But based on remaining TBN levels alone - if you consider that to be a proper benchmark for end-of-life for the oil - I couldn't have stretched any of the previous OCIs very much further anyhow when you look at the numbers. TBN seems to get chewed up pretty fast in this thing (other than the Amsoil).

It's interesting how with 2% fuel the viscosity is pretty much exactly where this oil starts out at (a tiny bit thicker actually) I wonder how that happened?

Quote:

Was this car driven in the snow during Winter?

Yes. But not during the 6 weeks that this oil was in use. Snow was gone. However there was still plenty of sand and salt dust on the highways leftover from the winter.

If you really want to get a more accurate idea of how an oil is doing in your car, you should really wait until at least the 2nd consecutive run of an oil before sampling and testing.

what brand and octane gas?
does the Chry 2.7 have a knock sensor?

to clean a heavily carboned engine, use a can of Berryman's B12 in thru 1/8" tube into TB plate hole on hot engine at 2k rpm....let soak for 2 hrs and out to freeway for hard 20 mile run...followup with 1 qt of water by same technique

far faster and easier on your fuel pump and injectors than those extended heavy doses of polyetheramines

Quote:

what brand and octane gas?

Any brand - doesn't matter. Shell (including V-Power), Sunoco, Petro-Canada, Esso, etc. Engine calls for 87 octane; it would ping only a bitless with 89 octane; still ping occasionally with 91. But the pinging is gone now. One month of steady Redline SI-1 and Techron appears to have cured it completely. No pinging with 87 octane now. And the plug color is better than it's ever been.

Quote:

does the Chry 2.7 have a knock sensor?

Yes it does. Mine puts out a decent AC voltage so it's still good. Good thing too, because replacing it require complete disassembly of the top end. Both heads have to come off to get at it.

Quote:

to clean a heavily carboned engine, use a can of Berryman's B12 in thru 1/8" tube into TB plate hole on hot engine at 2k rpm....let soak for 2 hrs and out to freeway for hard 20 mile run...followup with 1 qt of water by same technique

far faster and easier on your fuel pump and injectors than those extended heavy doses of polyetheramines

Yes, I've read about this before, and it was my next step if the Redline and Techron hadn't worked. I think I'll try the distilled water injection at this point.

Thanks for the info....Phil

Originally Posted By: Patman
It's interesting how with 2% fuel the viscosity is pretty much exactly where this oil starts out at (a tiny bit thicker actually) I wonder how that happened?

Previous oil (TSO) was thicker, so 'left over' oil bumped the current oils visc. up just a bit...you've seen that in you 'Vette, when you went from GC to PP.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. Agree with the relatively short runs on synthetic for your car.

The high iron is more ten likely fuel related. The reason hese engines sludge is because the cat is right next to the timeing cover. The other reason is because the water pump starts leaking right into the oil! The engine itself is a decent engine if not for those two issues. Hey is ESSO's XD3 any cheaper then Castrol because it works great in every canadaina UOA I have seen it in. I would use the cheapest Synthetic I could in an application like this. You might also consider Motorcraft 5W20 which is semi-synthetic and usualy affordable if your engine can handle 5W20! It is also thin wich is a good thing for any sludge situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back