How old are your tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 88 E-150 has a set of Wrangler HT tires that are about 17 years old now. I will be changing them out ASAP since I have cord seperation in the RR tire. I don't drive it much but want those tires off. Problem is I have been checking into tires and really can't find a good AT tire 235-75-15. I have been looking online and reading comments/reviews about various tires and someone seems to always have some kind of complaint. I guess now is a good time to ask the BIOTG'ers what would be a good tire for this van. I will be driving it a lot more now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Seems that the local tire centers are selling tires that are in some instances 2 years old or more. How old should a "new" tire be?

Thanks,
Frank D

It appeared that they specified "unused" aged tires. They didn't say (from my listening) that "in use" older tires fall into the same risk assessment. I've had some tires last quite a while.

Now I think that we need to read a little beyond the warnings here. This is going to promote a mandatory trade in time for your rolling tires. Sorta like how the propane lobby makes your current tank obsolete every so often ..and if that doesn't work, they make periodic alterations ..even though they've been around for a very long time.

This will end up being an expensive jobs program.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My 88 E-150 has a set of Wrangler HT tires that are about 17 years old now. I will be changing them out ASAP since I have cord seperation in the RR tire. I don't drive it much but want those tires off. Problem is I have been checking into tires and really can't find a good AT tire 235-75-15. I have been looking online and reading comments/reviews about various tires and someone seems to always have some kind of complaint. I guess now is a good time to ask the BIOTG'ers what would be a good tire for this van. I will be driving it a lot more now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Seems that the local tire centers are selling tires that are in some instances 2 years old or more. How old should a "new" tire be?

Thanks,
Frank D

the BFG A/T KO's are good tires.

I just checked my tires. 3 of them are goodyears on my 96 sunfire. 4600 on two of them. 4500 on the other goodyear. the last tire is a douglas tire from walmart I bought last year, where the date code wasn't on the outside of the tire. must be on the inside of the tire and I didn't check that one.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Thanks,
Frank D

Can't find a good tire in 235-75-15? That's got to be one of the most common tire sizes out there. Everybody makes a tire in that size. Don't worry about those consumer surveys too much. You can't get a consensus on whether people like ice cream so you will NEVER get one on tires. Throw out the best and worst reviews and look at the overall consensus, as long as it matches where you live and how you drive.

As far as an AT tire is concerned, how AT do you want to be? Do you need off road traction in a 1/2 ton van? What do you want a tire to do for you?

BFG, Michelin, Bridgestone and plenty of others make good AT tires. Some have good off road traction, some have a better on road ride, some offer long mileage or a low price. Determine what exactly you want a tire to do for you and your choice will be much easier.

I have Goodyear HT tires on it and I was happy with them, I'd rather not discuss Michelin, anytime I had them I had problems.
I went to Tires International and Tire Rack? Checked prices and reviews and as I said the reviews leave a lot to the imagination. Anyway I am really looking for a good all season tire, something that will look good on the Aluminum Cyclone wheels. When I wrote my first post I was thinking about my Jeep all terrain tire (my bad).

Thanks,
Frank D

7th week of 2008 for my new Generals, and thanks to the original poster for that video and making me aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back