2008 Mitsubishi Lancer: Help with oil type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I've been a lurker here for sometime and been reading up a lot on the posts here but am now even more confused than ever, just bear with me a few moments while I give some background info.

I own a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer with a newly designed GEMA 4B11 2.0 engine (which shares the basic design with the new chrysler and hyundai fours) with about 7700 miles on it as of now.

My oil change history is:

@ 3750 drain the factory, refill Pennzoil
@ 7500 drain the Pennzoil, refill Pennzoil Platinum

My owner manual recommends 5W20 and that's what I've been using so far. Also, the manual has a 3750 severe OCI and a 7500 normal OCI. Most of my driving falls in to the normal OCI.

Basically I have two fundamental questions:

1- Is switching to PP going to help the engine at all? Specially since I'm in SoCal with sizzling summer temps.

The reason I ask this is because I've read time and time on this board where members basically say unless you want to extend the intervals switching to PP won't have much difference.

2- Is the PP being a synth going to be OK for a 7500 mile OCI if I do about %25 severe and %75 normal condition driving?

I do intend to get a UOA done at my next OCI but I just want to make sure I'm not going to damage a brand new engine by going that long. Again, I've read on here so many conflicting results with some claiming the PP to go well above 10K miles and some UOA showing it last just about 6-7K miles.

Forgive me for the long post but I am as I said very confused here so any help at all would be appreciated.

Thank you

Originally Posted By: Peter_Pan
..........Is the PP being a synth going to be OK for a 7500 mile OCI if I do about %25 severe and %75 normal condition driving?

I do intend to get a UOA done at my next OCI but I just want to make sure I'm not going to damage a brand new engine by going that long. ..........

It is extremely unlikely that you will damage the engine by going 7500 miles with PP. Engine damage is much more likely to occur from not checking the oil level often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back