Your favorite distro of Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for another topic on this question. The Linux world updates software much faster than the Windows world...

My fave: PC Linux 2008. I really like this distro. It's fast in a VM, easy to install software and seems better 'polished' than Ubuntu.

Runner up, OpenSuse 11.0, this one is a keeper for many reasons, but is a bit slower than PC Linux 2008.

For servers I do enjoy Suse Linux Enterprise Server and Cent OS. I prefer Cent OS since it's free.

I am running the Gnome version of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 64 bit version. Have done quite a bit of tweaking of it.

For a simple version of Ubuntu Linux that has many of the extras installed, try Linux Mint.

The 32 bit version Linux Mint 5 Elyssa R1 works well. See the following web site.

Link To Linux Mint

Big + with this version is extra packages included and good multi-media support.

It is based on Ubuntu 8.04 and compatible with their packages, etc.

With any version of Linux using Gnome, under Appearance/Preferences/visual Effects, mark "None" for visual Effects which greatly speeds up your desktop.

I use Gentoo for servers only. My desktop usage is for play only and thus does not count.
2x for Bacula backup system servers
1x for our security box (Snort, syslog, FreeRadius)
1x email gateway & email archive (XMail, GnuPG, custom scripts)

It is sort of pointless to talk about such and such 2007, 2008, 2025 version of Linux. The kernel is perpetually updated, the desktop environments and associated apps are also frequently updated. This is especially true of Gentoo as it is a source based.

Gentoo here. By far my favourite over the probably 50-100 different "flavours" of Linux I've tried over the years.

I find FreeBSD is more "polished" for functioning as a router....

In order of preference:
1. Ubuntu
2. Suse
3. Fedora
4. And as a Live CD, Dam! Small Linux.

is fedora any good? I got a linux for dummies book 2008 edition from the library. it came with a fedora cd.

I dual boot with Vista (using Grub) and OpenSuse 11.0 running KDE 4 and OpenOffice 3 (beta) works nicely.

I started with Kubuntu, but 8.04 had trouble connecting to the router with WPA on my laptop, Suse connected first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back