Pablo, did you see this guy in the sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fae0da31-4b81-4e6b-a665-fa763997fb49.jpg

Kent Couch leaves his gas station in Bend, Ore., on Saturday, July 5, 2008, riding a lawn chair rigged with more than 150 giant party balloons in an attempt to fly to Idaho. He is equipped with a BB gun and a blowgun for popping balloons if he gets too high and three 15-gallon barrels of cherry Kool-Aid for ballast to release if he gets too low.

Link to article

BEND, Ore. (AP) - A man has taken flight in a lawn chair hoisted by more than 150 large helium-filled party balloons in a bid to ride the wind from the central Oregon town of Bend all the way to Idaho.

Too bad he didn't wait a while. On the the 8th, I will be driving right under his flight path on US 395 about 110 miles from his takeoff point.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650
Too bad he didn't wait a while. On the the 8th, I will be driving right under his flight path on US 395 about 110 miles from his takeoff point.
banana2.gif

Who in their right mind would travel 395
shocked2.gif

And Pablo would not of seen him. He lives way north of there.

Ken

Originally Posted By: XS650
banana2.gif

Have Projectile Launcher

Will Travel

(cue theme music)
grin2.gif

Quote:
It began after Couch, clutching a big mug of coffee, kissed his wife and kids goodbye, then patted their shivering Chihuahua, Isabella, on the head. .../.... For food he carried some boiled eggs, jerky and chocolate. ...../.... 235 miles in nine hours

I hope he was selective in his choice of "rest stops". The boiled eggs could have been for retro thrusters
grin2.gif

i think its great but absolutely no regard for risk or safety of himself or other people... but kinda cool at the same time.

Quote:
....but absolutely no regard for risk or safety of himself or other people...

Kinda hard to bash the guy on that basis when we have tens of thousands of drivers text messaging, drinking, smoking, and talking on their cell phones while driving down the road, some performing more than one of those tasks at once.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i think its great but absolutely no regard for risk or safety of himself or other people... but kinda cool at the same time.

Two separate means of dropping altitude, a parachute, ground crew following him, GPS and radio to report his position, proper clothing for the conditions and he did it in an area so lowly populated he didn't stand much chance of crashing on any living thing except a coyote or a lost steer. Sounds like safety was a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back