Hunting Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a complete novice at firearms so I need some recommendations on a hunting gun for small game. Main priority is low maintenance and decent accuracy. My in-laws have a cabin in the mountains of north carolina and there are all kinds of small game running around. Figure I'd take one or two out rather than just sit around the woods twittling my thumbs.......j/k.

Seriously though, I'm looking into doing some small scale hunting so any recs would be appreciated. Also, would it be possible to get one gun for hunting and skeet shooting?

12 guage pump shotgun complete with a few assorted chokes. If you need a rifle then a .222 should be sufficient. A standard .22 is good for most small game also.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Are you going to eat what you kill?

That's the plan.

BTW, great signature.

Originally Posted By: Chris71
12 guage pump shotgun complete with a few assorted chokes. If you need a rifle then a .222 should be sufficient. A standard .22 is good for most small game also.

Thanks. Any brand or store you'd recommend?

Check your local hunting laws. Some states do not allow rifled barrels, or center fire rifles, or whatever. Know what you can have before you buy.

A shotgun will kill just about anything, but there may not be much left after.

Winchester, Remington, Ruger to name a few. We have a big gun store in Clearfield, PA called Grice's but I don't know how far you are willing to travel. If you can only afford one gun then I would go with a good name brand over/under with a 12 guage/.22 long rifle combo. That would be good for rabbit, grouse, squirrel, etc.

For fun and light hunting that even includes deer as well as being cheap you could get an SKS. Or, you can get a rifle that shoots both a bullet and a shot shell. I got an old Savage over/under that shoots a .45 on top and a 20 gauge on the bottom. Only drawback is that it's single shots only. If you are looking for a true hunting gun that can also hold a few rounds, look at a .223 like a Ruger mini-14 ranch rifle or even a Remington any model. You'll have fun with any gun you choose.

Depends on what you are shooting and eating.

If it's rabbit sized stuff, then a .22 is the way to go. I've got a Krico (way expensive these days), and a few years ago picked up a 1967 Brno...shoots 1" at 50 yards.

If you go for a .22, the modern CZs are very accurate and well made bolt actions.

If you want a centrefire, I'd plug the CZ527 "Mini-mauser". Mine in .223 shoots 1" at 100 with 60 grain V-Max reloads (weighed cases, charges, blah blah), which is great for a light sporter. Being produced at the military factory, it's chambered to the military specs.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

A shotgun will kill just about anything, but there may not be much left after.
That was my thought. Rabbits and Squirrels will be blown to pieces with a shot gun.

We used to hunt them all the time with a 12 guage. You just use one of the lighter loads. A .22 is pretty ideal for squirrel though if I had to pick.

I vote for a Ruger 10/22 as a good all around rabbit, squirrel, chipmunk gun. You can get them for next to nothing at Bud's gun shop, or gunbroker.com, etc.

I have one in stainless and the longer barrel. Deadly accurate and I haven't even done any bolt ons with it.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
It's pretty tough to be a ruger 10/22.

Not hard to beat it for accuracy. Out of the box a 10/22 isn't all that accurate, and even with a lot of high $ parts you're pretty much going to be getting the same accuracy as the inexpensive bolt action guns.

Great info fellas. Definitely gives me a good starting point. Keep it coming if you have other tips/insights.

Go with a 12 guage and you'll never look back. A 10 gauge is a little on the powerful side for small game. Do a search for Remington, Browning , Ruger, Winchester, etc. and see who make a nice over/under 12 guage and .22 long rifle. I've harvested every type of small game with my Winchester Model 1300 Ranger 12 guage. If you have a choice of only one shotgun, trust me and go 12 guage.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: tom slick
It's pretty tough to be a ruger 10/22.

Not hard to beat it for accuracy. Out of the box a 10/22 isn't all that accurate, and even with a lot of high $ parts you're pretty much going to be getting the same accuracy as the inexpensive bolt action guns.

maybe not a tack driver out of the box but accurate enough the hit a squirrel at 50 yards. That second (or 5th) shot is still faster with a semi-auto.

Great point Tom. You aren't going to get a competition rifle with a stock 10-22. That being said, you will get minute of squirrel, gopher, chipmunk, rabbit, etc. with it.

To the OP, buy both. I paid a little over 200 for the 10-22 and 229 bucks for a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. For a tad over 400 bucks you get two of the most tried and true firearms. The shotgun will feed as well or better than an 870, but for little money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back