Who's engine oil has the most "detergent" power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading some posts on this site and others, I was wondering what brands of engine oil (for gas powered engines,not diesel), have the most detergent and cleaning power?

I am asking about both conventional and synthetic oil, 5W-30 and 10W30, which are available OTC.

Any opinions?
Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

Motorcraft comes to mind. If you want cleaning pow-a, you need to consider a serious synth like Mobil 1 5w-40, a HDEO Diesel in a 10w-30 or a Hi-Mi oil. Why not just start clean with Auto-Rx and not worry about if any given oil is going to do the difficult job of "cleaning". No oils are really designed to do this, that I know of.

Here's one starting point:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005119

Please expand on why Motorcraft comes to mind? I am trying to figure out if I am going to stick with it in two vehicles I am running it in or go to it's less expensive tropartic cousin.

This is the first interval with each vehicle and the oil is maintaining decent translusence at 2 and 3k miles respectively but I also staerted the LC regimen in each of these vehicles aas well so it is difficult to give credit to either or the other and It will be until the second runs before I pull a UOA on each, though I am tempted to check the overall health of my Toyota Tacoma on the drain due in march(6 months) due to it's life of sand and dust.

The OLD mobil was knwn to be a great cleaning oil. The new GF4 stuff is supposed to be as good or better.

I like the Semi-Syn 7500 Mobil for its price, and supposed to have a decent amount of Group3 oil in it.
Or if ya want full Syn can;t go wrong with M1

Oils that also carry ACEA A5/B5 or A3/B3 and CF ratings also in addition to the SL or SM designation.

As far as I know Redline, Motul 300V and Fuchs Titan 0W20 are all ester based and should provide top notch cleaning. Redline also has an additive package that is off the charts so it can usualy continue to protect as it cleans. Remember most oil can clean or lubricate but do nither well at the same time!

If you want widely available then M1 0W40 would be my next choice. While I do not know this from experince M1 claims that 0W40 has the ability to clean the engine even sludge. I do not know of any other product makeing this claim. THis was reported by another member.

If we are talking about dino oil then HDEO like Delvac 1300 15W40 and Delo 15W40 are going to be the best OTC dino oils.

If you have a dirty engine it is better to clean it with an engine cleaning product like Auto-Rx, 131, Lube Control etc... Oil does best when all it has to do is clean up after itself and lubricate. When you ask the oil to clean up someone elses mess you risk lubricity,oxidation resistance and AW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back