2006 Honda Pilot - Mobil 1 5w20 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, let's see here. You used expensive oil and changed it way before it was necessary and the wear numbers are good. What have we learned? Nothing I can think of. Now that you've switched to an even more expensive motor oil that's guaranteed for at least 7500 miles and maybe up to 35,000, try just following the maintenance minder or ignore it until you get very close to the warranty interval on the motor oil of your choice. Your Honda warranty is expired now, so no need to worry about that. Then the oil analysis will be meaningful. This one just says you spent a lot of money to analyze expensive oil that was changed way too early and got predictably low wear numbers.

But then again, we don't know what your goals are. Are you looking for the absolute minimum wear at any cost? Do you want to save money on oil changes and reduce the amount of toxic stuff you dump in the environment? Or do you have some lofty, noble goal like finding the minimum wear per dollar spent on oil changes? That sounds like a good one to me. Tell us what you want to hear and someone will assuredly be more than happy to oblige.

Cheers!

John

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
Well, let's see here. You used expensive oil and changed it way before it was necessary and the wear numbers are good. What have we learned? Nothing I can think of. Now that you've switched to an even more expensive motor oil that's guaranteed for at least 7500 miles and maybe up to 35,000, try just following the maintenance minder or ignore it until you get very close to the warranty interval on the motor oil of your choice. Your Honda warranty is expired now, so no need to worry about that. Then the oil analysis will be meaningful. This one just says you spent a lot of money to analyze expensive oil that was changed way too early and got predictably low wear numbers.

But then again, we don't know what your goals are. Are you looking for the absolute minimum wear at any cost? Do you want to save money on oil changes and reduce the amount of toxic stuff you dump in the environment? Or do you have some lofty, noble goal like finding the minimum wear per dollar spent on oil changes? That sounds like a good one to me. Tell us what you want to hear and someone will assuredly be more than happy to oblige.

Cheers!

John

Is this your "good day" or "bad day" advice to a new member who was just curious how his engine was operating wrt to oil analysis?

Thanks for posting your UOA. Looks fine. Thanks for using M1--it brings out the drama queens on the board.

edit: Heh. Looks like someone beat me to it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo

Cheers!

John

Umm thanks? Wow....I just changed my oil as per the indicator on my car. I never new if it was really accurate or just set on timer of some sort. When I got the oil test back I just wanted some feedback on the results. I guess what I have learned is that I can go longer on my intervals and that the oil gauge on the car that says when to change is not accurate.

As far as my goals...I want obviously as litte wear as possible. Why would I want to push the oil to the limit of protection? And what if I push to that limit and go over? I never had one done before so had no idea about the results.

At least from what I see, the Mobil held up very well? I was changing every 4 to 5k miles. The Amsoil should hold up even better and I can extend my oil change intervals correct?

Thanks for the warm welcome
beer3.gif

cjunk23,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG. The next time you have a UOA done, ask Blackstone to run the TBN on the oil. It cost a little more, but it helps tell you how much life is left in the oil.

Which Amsoil product are you using now?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjunk23

Umm thanks? Wow....I just changed my oil as per the indicator on my car. I never new if it was really accurate or just set on timer of some sort. When I got the oil test back I just wanted some feedback on the results. I guess what I have learned is that I can go longer on my intervals and that the oil gauge on the car that says when to change is not accurate.

As far as my goals...I want obviously as litte wear as possible. Why would I want to push the oil to the limit of protection? And what if I push to that limit and go over? I never had one done before so had no idea about the results.

At least from what I see, the Mobil held up very well? I was changing every 4 to 5k miles. The Amsoil should hold up even better and I can extend my oil change intervals correct?

Thanks for the warm welcome
beer3.gif

What your analysis indicates to me is that you could run dino if you're going to follow the maintenance minder. Otherwise run a good synthetic to extend your interval.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: cjunk23
I just changed my oil as per the indicator on my car. ..... The Amsoil should hold up even better and I can extend my oil change intervals correct?

OK so at 4000 miles your OLM went off at 5%? Wow that seems soon, or did you change it at 30% or so? Not trying to grill you, it's just that we have the same engine in our Ody and our OLM is approaching zero at around 7500 miles.

Your UOA looks fine.

Indeed which Amsoil are you trying? Where did you get it?

Thanks for post,

Paul

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC

Is this your "good day" or "bad day" advice to a new member who was just curious how his engine was operating wrt to oil analysis?

Exactly..we really don't need this.

You could certainly go further. Looks good. Flashpoint is a bit low. Did you thoroughly have it hot when you drained?

Im using Synthetic XL from Amsoil. I will definately extend my oil drain interval, but do I just follow the electronic gauge that states the % of life left? Is that accurate? Or should I just shoot for 7k?

Maybe take it say 1000 over the next time and take another UOA. If you don't want to do than then change at 0 or so. Thats just MHO

I would say go the 7500 miles for the XL oil. Send the sample to OAI rather than Blackstone. OAI always does TBN and also does %OXID and %NITR if its an Amsoil oil.

If it were my vehicle, I would spring for the Amsoil non-XL oil. More bucks, but better oil.

unfortunately someone of us have to follow manufacturer's recommended OCI cuz of warranty. :-(
But that is no reason to rip someone for that.

with a honda engine any 5-20 oil will go 7500 miles, esp M1...dont sweat the no lifers here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back