Saturn Ion transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend has a 04 Ion with the 5 speed Aisin auto transmission. I was quite susprised to find out the Ion had a Japanese transmission. I guess the 03/04's had them. They switched over to the GM Hydromatic 4 speed in 05.

I want to do a couple drain/refills. I read some stuff, saying this is a sealed unit. I found the drain plug while changing the oil. I think I found the fill hole or dipstick. It is held on with a bolt. It's the yellow cap in the pic. Does anybody with knowledge of this transmission, tell me if this is indeed the fill tube?

I know this Aisin unit takes Type 4/IV fluid.

002-3.jpg

Thanks

That is T-IV fluid because Asin is owned by Toyota. Most T-IV user's either go with a Universal ATF like Amsoil or one of the other ones like Valvoline MAxlife that list that they meet T-IV requirments on the label in fine print. The only OEM T-IV is available at your local Toyota dealer. Their is plenty of info online about how to drain and refil this transmission.Other's ahve posted about it before but the search functionis the pits on this site now. It was not always like that it used to be excellent.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I wonder why GM used the aisin auto trans for the ion back then? anyone know?

Probably because it was a five speed and somebody in marketing decided that was what was needed to drive the Saturn ION to new heights of popularity.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I wonder why GM used the aisin auto trans for the ion back then? anyone know?

GM uses Aisin trannys on several models. The 5 speed in the Equinox/Torrent is also an Aisin. They also have had a working relationship with Toyota going way back at least to the early 80's.

You may very well be able to pick up the right fluid for that at a Saturn dealer, if it concerns you that much.

Yes, that yellow dipstick is both the dipstick and fill port.

Don't believe that "Sealed for life" nonsense. I had my 2003 ION 5AT flushed out at 30,000 miles, and the fluid was totally black, not a hint of red in it. I filled it with Royal Purple DexIII (That was all that could be found at the time) and some additive that made it work in the T-IV application. At 60K miles I am doing fine.

The newest version of Royal Purple ATF already has additives to make it work where T-IV is needed.

Amsoil would be the best product to use there. I used it in mom's Toyota Solara (Because it was the only T-IV product I saw at that time), and I was stunned by how much lighter that car felt, and that was just by replacing around half by pulling the drain plug. Ever since then, I have been a fan of Amsoil products.

If you aren't ready to spend all that money on a full syn, Valvoline Maxlife works in T-IV applications. So does Castrol Import Multi Vehicle. I'm sure there are other suitable products. Mobil ATF 3309 is specially made for this type of transmission, but good luck finding it.

Thanks for the info guys. I will call around and see what kind of price I can get on this fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back