Falken Ziex ZE-912

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had to change my tires on my 2006 G6 GT (225-50-17). I had two flats and finding a replacement was tough. I wanted a good all season tire, but all I could find was the Falken Ziex ZE-912. Has anyone used this tire in the snow? It performs great on wet and dry roads. How is the tread wear?

Can't help you with your questions but I'm interested in other's opinions. I have a set in size 215/50/17 in my garage waiting to be put on. The price from Discount Tire Direct was great. I'll be happy if they last 40,000 miles.

Yeah, the price was the reason why I bought it. And consumer reports rated it the best ultra high performance all season tire. Has anyone used Goodyears ResponseEdge?

I had the 912 predecessor - the 512's.
CSR loved that & I bought them.
They were great for the first 20k miles.
But even with generous psi & attentive rotation & balancing, the tires wore accordingly to its factory spec at 30k.
And I have never been tough on tires.
Now they still have some tread life at 37k but around 30k the noise got unbearably louder & they have been slick from 25k.
The noise was so much that my father - who is hard of hearing - made a comment.
I was going to wait till late fall to change them out but the stopping distance is increasing by the day & the wet traction is deteriorating rapidly also.
So while I got close to 40k out of them, I think the performance since the 50% marker has been substandard.

The tires were awesome in the dry. Good in the wets.
Ok in the snow. & great with mpg (light on lbs.)
Once they approach 30k, they do get extremely slick & loud.

IMO, a leopard doesn't change it stripes overnight & as much as I luv the price & performance, with the economy the way it is, I need to make tires go longer.
So i am going to go a different direction than these 512 replacement from Falken on the next set (Generals).

Last edited:
I also had bad results with the 512s on my Z28.
Despite almost 2 degrees of negative camber, and 38-40 psi on the fronts and rotation, I corded the outside shoulders in < 15K miles.
They were OK in the dry and wet when not worn, NOT so good in the snow.

Do they make the BFG Super Sport all seasons in that G6 size??
I have them on the Z now and they are THE BEST all season tire I've ever used.
Approaching MAX performance summer tire grip in the dry, exceeding those in the wet, and I've only had them out in some light snow so far (as you know we had a very mild winter in Joyzee this year), but they were well beyond my expectations in that!!

dailydriver the BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S does come in size 225-50-17. These tires are considered performance all season tires right? I was looking for a passanger all season tire. The recommended tire for the G6 on BFGs website is the Traction T/A. I might have to settle for that when I have to change the tires again. But I do have a Camaro and I currently have BFG g-force T/A KDW tires. I don't drive it much so the tires are ok, but I was looking for an all season tire to drive it more in the winter months...I guess I'll look into the Super Sport. How much are they?

Yes, they are considered ultra performance all seasons.

I got them in our OEM Z28 size (245/50 16) and with discounts/rebates paid ~ $105.00/tire for them from Discount Tire Direct.
I could not be happier with them, and they are made here as well, albeit under Michelin's ownership.

Originally Posted By: gunia
I recently had to change my tires on my 2006 G6 GT (225-50-17). I had two flats and finding a replacement was tough. I wanted a good all season tire, but all I could find was the Falken Ziex ZE-912. Has anyone used this tire in the snow? It performs great on wet and dry roads. How is the tread wear?

some people claims it works fine in the snow. However, in my opinion, the tread pattern design looks like it won't perform remotely well in light snow (don't bother with ice & heavy snow). The siping is very minimal.

Tirerack has some other choices as well.

I have the ZE-912's on my car, 235/45r17 (and have dedicated snow tires/wheels)

The snow is what I am worried about the most for my G6. The cars round trip daily commute is only 6-8 miles, but we have to drive up a relatively steep hill. I had a chance to try out the ZE-912's deep water performance this weekend. The tires had a tendancy to hydroplane more than I'd like at highway speeds. But in its defense...there was a lot of standing water and I was probably going faster than I should have.

I'm still looking for a good a/s tire to replace all four tires with. Is the Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge better than the RS-A as a good year round tire? The ResponsEdge just doesn't look like it grips in the snow. Anyone with any winter experiences with these two tires?

A picture is worth a thousand words...

falken2s.jpg

For the hard of seeing, there are TWO bubbles on the same tire. I also returned a new set that could NOT be balanced. Gar-bage.

I have some Eagle RE now, maybe the best tire I ever used all-around but not excellent in snow. Conti Extreme is the only tire I consider "special" in snow. Dunlop SPA2 are good, Kumho ASX are ok. Some people thing Bridgestoone G-009 are good in snow, I dunno if I agree. yes, every tire I comment on I have used personally, if not I would say so. Post a list of tires and price and then we can get into it. Yoko TRZ and H4S should normally be considered highly, but again, just ok in snow.

Oh, a lot of people like the General Altimax HP. $50 rebate too. I might try 2 for me and 2 for Mom, lol 14"s and 16"s but it comes in both sizes. MiL has the RT version on her Minivan and likes them. They might be good in snow. I have the UHPs, a summer tire and they are pretty decent for the price. Probally will not buy them again since I don't use summer tires much.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
A picture is worth a thousand words...

falken2s.jpg

For the hard of seeing, there are TWO bubbles on the same tire. I also returned a new set that could NOT be balanced. Gar-bage.

Yes, I totally forgot the sidewall bubbling on mine as well, but it was not quite as severe as A.J.'s example above.
shocked2.gif

Overall, they were not that impressive a tire, but for < $60.00/each, in our large OEM size, I guess that I should not have expected too much.

This is what happenned to the Continental that I replaced with the Falcon. One had a bubble the other went flat with a tear on the side wall. Both happened at the same time. Continental is one of the few that makes a grand touring all season tire in this size. I guess I should expect the same from the ZE912

G6Blowout3.jpg

I hate to say it. When you grind your tire against concrete (curbs), what do you expect? Your metal wheel has all kind of curb rash. The rubber tire can't hold up to that abuse either.

I agree, my wife was driving the car so I don't know exactly what happenned. But the other tire didn't have any marks like this and there was a tear in the side wall so I was skeptical. I've also notice slow pressure loose in these tires.

P5240965.jpg

LOVED LOVED LOVED mine!
Great traction in the dry, AMAZING in the wet... Seriously these tires in the rain weren't much worse than they were in the dry - they just STUCK. I loved them, and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.
Re: snow. Uh, well, I was running 215/45/17 - and they were OK, but careful thought and thoughtful care is required. They're really more of tire designed for somewhere between summer and all season performance... I never had them in deep snow, just frosty mornings and light dustings, had them in an inch of snow or so once, but that was just my street, and I was more playing than anything else, so getting sideways didn't bother me.
I had another set of snows on rims, so the only snow experience I had was a late season snow.

I guess I should start posting my 512's like AJ. No bubbles here
27.gif

They been working like champs for the last 14,000 miles.

001-3.jpg

I have the 912's on my Accord and love them.

But I also invested in another set of steel rims and a set of 4 proper winter rated tires.

For a bit of extra money I have the proper tires on the car for each extreme of driving, plus, each set will last that much longer since they are not being driven year round.

Originally Posted By: gunia
This is what happenned to the Continental that I replaced with the Falcon. One had a bubble the other went flat with a tear on the side wall. Both happened at the same time. Continental is one of the few that makes a grand touring all season tire in this size. I guess I should expect the same from the ZE912

So considering the user error in that pic, I noticed that right where that bulge is are severe scrape marks on the alloy wheel. Do you work for Conti? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back