Question on Lucas Upper Cyl. Lubricant Fuel Add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant for the last 1-2 years on my two cars. Just wondering if this is considered to be a decent product. I like the reasoning behind it's intended use, but I really don't have much information to go by other than the manufacturer's advertisement. Couple questions. Firstly, is there any harm in running this product in a turbo engine setup, I'm concerned because it seems to be more of an oily substance rather than a solvent. Secondly, I occassionaly get a puff of white smoke on start up (on my non-turbo vehicle) when my fuel tank level gets low and after using a treatment of this stuff. I don't know if this product is heavier than fuel and settles at the bottom of the tank. Is this any cause for concern ?. I know this stuff burns off as white smoke as one time I poured a bit into an open intake manifold system while I was changing out my spark plugs, and she burned off huge clouds of white smoke that time. I get really good fuel economy on both of my vehicles and low oil consumption, but I can't really atribute it to this product despite running it for a decent period of time. I'm skeptical about it's claim of increasing the burning power of combustion chamber fuel. Any opinions on this product would be good to know. thanks

Joey

Last edited:
I agree. I also asked an oil testing house and they said, skip it........

JSRT4,

I use it every week in both me cars and achieve better performance compared to not using it. Yes I too get a small puff of white smoke too sometimes but who cares as long as it's not oil. What it's made of I can't say but the benifits out way the negatives.

Durango

I used to be thoroughly sold on Lucas UCL and added it to each tank of gas in my 2007 Civic LX. I then decided to try the Red Line SI-1 Fuel Treatment at the recommended continuous treat rate of 1/3 ounce per gallon of gasoline. The difference between the way my engine felt using the Red Line product was astounding. The engine was smoother and had more pep than it ever had when using the Lucas UCL. I am sold on adding 3-4 ounces of Red Line SI-1 to each tank of gas and plan to discontinue using the Lucas UCL altogether. Give the Red Line product a try and I bet you will notice a difference too.

P.S. the SI-1 contains 30%-50% Polyether Amine, which is one of the main ingredients in Chevron's Techron. The SI-1 also contains a synthetic UCL and will scavenge H20 from the Fuel System too! Good Stuff!!!

None of Redline SI-1, Lucas UCL, of MMO claim to clean combustion chamber deposits which is harder to clean than the rest of the fuel system and gives more benefit. The Redline tech doc doesn't mention PEA. Where does it say that SI-1 has PEA?

Could I get the same benefits at a lower price from dribbling Regane or Techron in which I can buy locally?

It would be worth using SI-1 at 1.5x to 2x the price of UCL if I could get the same benefits from substantially less.

Originally Posted By: severach
None of Redline SI-1, Lucas UCL, of MMO claim to clean combustion chamber deposits which is harder to clean than the rest of the fuel system and gives more benefit. The Redline tech doc doesn't mention PEA. Where does it say that SI-1 has PEA?

Could I get the same benefits at a lower price from dribbling Regane or Techron in which I can buy locally?

It would be worth using SI-1 at 1.5x to 2x the price of UCL if I could get the same benefits from substantially less.

Red Line SI-1 contains 30% to 50% PolyEther Amine as per the MSDS, which can be found via this link:

http://www.redlineoil.com/msds/49.pdf

It does clean combustion chamber deposits too:

"SI-1's injector and valve detergent is a concentrated package of the most powerful high-temperature detergents available to clean gasoline fuel injectors or carburetors, intake valves and combustion chambers and can clean injectors to nearly 100% efficiency in one treatment."

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_fueladditives.asp

Perhaps you should check out the Red Line site and read up on SI-1?

Yes, I read the Redline tech doc. Some product descriptions have it and some don't. They don't seem too careful about keeping their site updated. I called a listed dealer and they don't carry any Redline products.

Last edited:
Ive been using LUcal on and off for about 3 years now..and one thing i do notice, is in my 95 neon, it seems to cause my gas to be used a little quicker.. maybe it is giving better combustion?
Doesa near descent job of lubricating upper cylinders too, but i will agee, that Redline was the best! That stuff quieted down hte engin,a nd pistons felt like hot knif3e through butter when driving...
Too bad i cant find it anymore local, autozone and local advance auto disconinuted it, about 2 years ago.

SI-1 has been my cleaner of choice for 8 years now, maybe more. I'm fairly observant and I can't say I've ever felt any of these "amazing" operational differences in three cars I've used it in as a once-per-OCI cleaner: 1990 Acura Integra, 1992 Porsche 968, 1998 BMW 528i. Generally these cars are/were very clean and over maintained, but I didn't notice a wild change in character when SI-1 was in the tank.

In the last couple of years in the BMW (the only one on the list I still own) I'm using FP60/FP3000 continuously so I've more or less stopped doing per-OCI cleaning with SI-1 altogether.

Having ran Lucas and FP both I went back to the 2 stroke mix ( old school) and maintain I get better results. Results being smoother operation/easier starting,MPG varies so much I wont make a MPG statement on any of the three. The 2 stroke oil mix ( I use 1oz to to 5 gallons) keeps my top end clean/injectors at 100% and fuel pump quite as Hillary at the Democratic Convention. Been using this for years.

thanks for the replies, lots of mixed opinions on this it seems. I wish there was more scientific information about all of these products other than what the manufacturer tells you.

Redline SI-1 is a shelf stocked item at Pep Boys. I have one near but not near enough to make a special trip. Call to see if yours has it.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
I'm fairly observant and I can't say I've ever felt any of these "amazing" operational differences in three cars I've used it in

A dirty engine is a noisy engine. A dirty combustion chamber requires more fuel which makes the initial burn louder and increases the amount of fuel that burns after the exhaust valve opens. This noise radiates through the manifolds, engine casing, and exhaust. These engines need cleaners until they quiet down.

If your engine is already quiet in those areas then it is probably too clean to notice any kick from good fuel additives. I wouldn't avoid cleaners, I'd just reduce them or use cheaper ones until the per treatment rate is too low to care.

Originally Posted By: JSRT4
I wish there was more scientific information about all of these products other than what the manufacturer tells you.

http://www.qmimo.com/fuel_demo_gas.htm

It isn't much but it's at least something. It shouldn't be too hard to duplicate that to fill in the missing products or improve the technique.

Originally Posted By: severach

A dirty engine is a noisy engine. A dirty combustion chamber requires more fuel which makes the initial burn louder and increases the amount of fuel that burns after the exhaust valve opens. This noise radiates through the manifolds, engine casing, and exhaust. These engines need cleaners until they quiet down.

I can't say I agree with most of that.
Louder combustion? Pre-ignition or Detonation maybe.

Unless your talking about carbon deposits causing pistons to contact cylinder heads. Which I have seen.

Originally Posted By: Rabbler
Pre-ignition or Detonation maybe.

I'm not talking about ticks or bangs. The valves aren't leaking, the muffler isn't broken, and the engine runs just fine. I'm talking about the dull roar that differentiates an old engine from a new engine. Go take a stroll to your nearest new car lot and start a few engines. Compare your old clunker to the new car next to you at the red light. Why do they run so quiet? What do they have that you don't? Part of it is tight oil parts but part of it is a squeaky clean combustion chamber and fuel supply which makes the engine run well. It's pretty obvious when I substantially cut engine and exhaust noise using only a few tanks of fuel additives. With some persistence and good service I can often match the original New Car Quiet.

I wouldn't expect it to be obvious to anyone who has never done it.

It cleans and lubricates with no harsh solvents. UCL is good stuff. At $20/gal it is pretty cheap and lasts a long time when using 3oz/10gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back