How old are your tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
2 weeks on Friday.

They were manufactured 2 weeks ago? Cause that is what this question is asking.

just crawled under the Explorer, 1 was made in 03 one in 04 figured thats new enough and didn't check the front ones. Why were they using Explorers in all of those tests...lol

The Michelins are 8 years old on my winter car per date code. There's no sign of rot on them. They're only half worn.

Since I don't put a lot of miles on any vehicle, I now trade off treadwear ratings for grippier tires when replacing tires. No sense buying high-mileage tires if I can't use them up.

My wife and I purchaced a 1980 Firebird FORMULA(brand new) when we got married. The car came with UNIROYAL Steel Belted Radial RWL. In 1988, I took off the Uniroyals, put them in large plastic bags and stored them in my basement. I installed 4 Good/Year EAGLE GT's OWL and ran them just about bald til 2007 when they wouldn't pass state inspection. I then went to my basement and pulled out of the bags the 4 original UNIROYALS and reinstalled them which I'am driving today. 28 year old tires, there is still some tread(4/5 32nds) and no dry rot. According to my records, I took off the Uniroyals at 22,500 in 1988 and reinstalled them at 37,300+ in 2007, 19 years later...Ture story!

I'm not sure; probably four years old; being wmart Douglas junk they are egg shaped due to the "X" rotation I did to them about two years ago. Front to back from now on whenever I can get some FR380 Firestones for the car. Two at a time due to $ cocncerns.

wow, I didn't even watch the video until now. I just said how old were my tires based on when I bought them. time to see how old they are with the date code in the morning!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
My wife and I purchaced a 1980 Firebird FORMULA(brand new) when we got married. The car came with UNIROYAL Steel Belted Radial RWL. In 1988, I took off the Uniroyals, put them in large plastic bags and stored them in my basement. I installed 4 Good/Year EAGLE GT's OWL and ran them just about bald til 2007 when they wouldn't pass state inspection. I then went to my basement and pulled out of the bags the 4 original UNIROYALS and reinstalled them which I'am driving today. 28 year old tires, there is still some tread(4/5 32nds) and no dry rot. According to my records, I took off the Uniroyals at 22,500 in 1988 and reinstalled them at 37,300+ in 2007, 19 years later...Ture story!

If you value the car, it might be best to put some new rubber on the Firebird. When a tread comes off, it will do a lot of damage - and a 28 year old tire is way, way beyond warranty coverage.

CapriRacer,
Warranty Coverage? LOL! The whole car only had a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty when I bought it new! The car only get driven up and down the strip every now and again. Most of my drives are 5 miles or less and then parked, ususlly around gathering crowds. There in no dry rot or cracking that leads me to beleive that they will just come apart at 40 mph. The most that will happen IMHO is that a steel belt might break and I will have to THUMP,THUMP THUMP home. I won't take the car on the highway at 65 mph or higher. And new tires are in order I agree! Im just having a hard time deciding which tires I want this time considering this will probable be the last set. And if I live that long, I'll have to live with these new tires for at least the next 20 years.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
CapriRacer,
Warranty Coverage? LOL! The whole car only had a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty when I bought it new! The car only get driven up and down the strip every now and again. Most of my drives are 5 miles or less and then parked, ususlly around gathering crowds. There in no dry rot or cracking that leads me to beleive that they will just come apart at 40 mph. The most that will happen IMHO is that a steel belt might break and I will have to THUMP,THUMP THUMP home. I won't take the car on the highway at 65 mph or higher. And new tires are in order I agree! Im just having a hard time deciding which tires I want this time considering this will probable be the last set. And if I live that long, I'll have to live with these new tires for at least the next 20 years.

Just so you are aware:

There have been a lot of bulletins published in the last few years pointng to the advisability of removing tires simply because of age. Anywhere from 6 years to 10 years has been mentioned and my take on the difference has to do with heat. If you live in a hot climate (AZ, NV, CA, TX, NM, and FL), the limit is 6 years and if you live in a cold climate (MN, WI, MI, MT, etc) the limit is 10 years.

In your case, the 10 year limit would apply.

BTW, don't be fooled into thinking that if the tires aren't cracked, they are OK. Here's what I told Nikolas in another thread:

"...... An indicator of where you are in the durability part of this is the cracking. If the cracking is superficial, then the tire is probably OK (notice I said probably), but if the cracks are plentiful and or deep - and especially if the cracks are on the tread surface - the part that contacts the road - then it's time to replace the tires.

What do I mean by "Probably OK"? I have seen tires that show very little cracking that have failed - and the common denominator has been age - many of these have been spares as installed at the vehicle assembly plant and became part of the second set of tires. Cracking is a combination of material properties and flexing. So a tire that hasn't flexed very much, isn't likely to show cracks as readily as a tire that has......"

What you should be concerned about is the "not much flexing" part. Tires without cracks aren't necessarily OK - and I can guarrantee that 28 year old tires do not have very good material properties.

CR,
These tires look great all over, no kidding! Thank you for your deep concern on my old tires(I really mean this from my heart). I will be changing the tires very soon as I'am trying to make a choice of which tire brand and also if I should move to a larger tire. Stock, the car has 225-70-15(never liked that size as they look too narrow) and I want to install 255-60-15(same diameter as the 225's or at least within spec). I think I may install DUNLOP GT Qualifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back