jeep tire selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg1

size 235 75 R15 (load C).

I'm looking for something in between a AT and MT. I've run "Wild Country TXR" (made by GY). Would buy again (especially for $100) but local shop called it quits. Will check for a different source.

What I've found locally so far are the following:

Big O XT
Cooper Discover S/T
Cooper Discover STT (I think this one falls out of what I'm looking for and into a mud tire)

Cooper Discover S/T-C (This one is not in my size, but probably the cooper offering that comes the closes to what I'm trying to replace).

Dunlop has an RT, had some bad expereince with a preivous set of Dunlop ATs. Expereince is a hostage taker.

Seems like everybody's favorite mention is BFG AT, not what I'm looking for. I've had them, good tire for an AT.

Any knowledgeable feed back appreciated. Seems like everybody has a A/T and M/T but few hybrids.

Thank you for your time.

If you are looking for a true hybrid tire I would go with the Cooper S/T's. I don't have any personal experience with them, but there was an in-depth thread on another forum I am a member of about expedition/hybrid tires and the S/T was deemed one of the best.

If you are looking for a true hybrid I don't think that you would be happy with the STT's because as you mentioned they fall into more of the MT category.

Also, just wondering what model of Jeep will these tires be going on? What kind of off-roading will it see, if any?

If you would PM the form. Jeep YJ (wrangler)

Off roading is nothing serious, farm stuff (pastures, low water crossing, mud and more mud, gravel roads etc). Pull small trailer with firewood / supplies.

The above is probably 35% of the time with the remainder being street/Hwy.

take care.

I switched to these after running a true mud terrain after a while and love the hybrid design of them. I have 20k on them under my heavy truck and estimate to have 70% tread left. The rubber composition is very hard which helps offroad wear and tear on them, but they do not grip as well as a mt tire though. Wet traction is much better than a mt and I was told lots of forestry services use these tires on their vehicles. Other options is pro comp extreme all terrain or **** cepek fun country IIs. They do have a little hum to them but nothing extreme.

I recommend Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I have 35" Radials and 38.5" Bias. Good all around tire that rides well.

Don't let the pic deter you. My YJ and equipment are used hard. My Mickey T's have put up with well more than they should have.

DSC02960.jpg

Goodyear Wrangler MTR is a pretty good combination tire. I've worn out two sets of 32" MTRs on my Jeep TJ at about 50K miles each set. They handle very good on the street and great off road. Great in snow, fair on ice -- the limited slip diff in back didn't help with ice. Not the best mud tire, but they worked great for me. They're not real loud, but should be rotated every 5K miles to keep them at their quietest. I switched to BFG ATs just to try them and becuase I wanted something a bit quieter on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back