Switching to Vegetable Oil Fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a great idea.

Particularly if your vehicle has an old Bosch inline pump and prechamber combustion...it's part of my post apocolyptic plan to get me a landcruiser BJ or HJ something.

To do it legally down here, need to register with the tax office...etc.

you can make your own system... cheaper.

I did this with old MB diesels. Now I am of the opinion that Id rather not hack up these great vehicles putting a system like this in, though they do run well on it. MB diesels are the longest lasting car on the road, and long-lasting = good economy... especially if youre getting 30 MPG or better.

Plus there is starting to be a necessary premium on vegoil, and some places are startin g to be reluctant to giving it away. Consider the time to get it, to PROPERLY work it over (water wash, filtration, etc. so you dont ruin your pump or nozzles prematurely), etc. and it is starting to be poor economy, IMO.

Not a waste of time, but not the deal it once was, in some cases.

JMH

Some restaurants are now putting locks on their grease pits because people are pillaging the used grease after hours. Go figure.

I run a WVO blend on my mostly stock '99 F-350 since 4/06 and '81 Mercedes since 7/06. No conversion. I've saved thousands with only the overhead of my collection unit and filtering station which I made from hardware store parts.

WVO is getting harder to get. I constantly deal with people stealing the oil from my sources. The rendering company in my area is also paying a crazy price for the junk; over 80 cents per gallon now.

Shouldn't this thread be in the Diesel Fuel Alternative Fuels section?

with the price of fuel so high, expect your WVO sources to dry up. Your getting competition from trucking companies that are paying for it too. I wouldn't convert my vehicle to WVO for those very reasons.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
with the price of fuel so high, expect your WVO sources to dry up. Your getting competition from trucking companies that are paying for it too. I wouldn't convert my vehicle to WVO for those very reasons.

I agree with you. That's what makes me glad that I didn't put the money into a two tank conversion. My filter set up for processing the oil was only a couple of hundred dollars. Making this blend has saved me thousands upon thousands with miniscule overhead. Although I will be disappointed if my sources dry up tomorrow, I am grateful for the money I have saved to date. I'm also grateful for the 400 gallons I have stock piled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back