Do I need an alignment after new tire install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got four new tires on the Grand Caravan. Felt fine on the highway but should I get an alignment?

And...

Buddy who did the tires said Caravan's are notorious for ripping up tires/ hard on them. Is that right?

As long as the old tires were wearing fine, I say no.

Some tire shops try and sell you an alignment when you install new tires, I always say NO.

Get an alignment when your car needs it, or at the appropriate mileage interval for your car and usage. The habit to get it done with new tires is a waste.

Originally Posted By: coopns
Just got four new tires on the Grand Caravan. Felt fine on the highway but should I get an alignment?

And...

Buddy who did the tires said Caravan's are notorious for ripping up tires/ hard on them. Is that right?

If everything is ok, not needed.

Rotate every 5k.

True, Caravans are hard on tires. I'm up in Montana and looking at my Sisters 1993 Grand Caravan and her tires never last. On her 2003 Taurus they are doing well. Same brand and type....

Bill

Originally Posted By: Lorenzo
Get an alignment when your car needs it...

Trouble is, how many avg joes out there knows *when* to get a wheel alignment done?

Q.

Great, thanks. She runs fine.

That was the other thing, how often to rotate and is balancing a big deal? It was only 30 bucks for 3 years.

I rotate tires every OCI (approx 5 to 7K).

I only rebalance if I loose a wheel weight.

Alignment checks are usually free especially when getting tires installed. You get a printout if it is off or in and you decide whether to have it done. I've had alignments checked with no up sell, just a tire balance which it needed anyway.

I get before and after printouts of my alignment.

Originally Posted By: Lorenzo
The habit to get it done with new tires is a waste.

Depends on the tires.

I often won't do it on a $200 set of tires. But on a $1,000+ set of UHPs, the $69 is cheap insurance.

Heh... on my car, even if the alignment is set correctly, it will still result in rear tires getting eaten on the inside due to manufacturer-specified negative camber. But at least the front tires can be saved by ensuring proper alignment. Although I've yet to find an indy shop that will do it properly (the operative word) for less than $100. Still better than the $180 that the dealer charges for it. I'll probably get it done next time I buy a new set of tires because it's been a while since my last alignment.

its a good thing to have done with the tires if you get a free check. if its out, then by all means get it in spec. i always get it done with new tires, but ive never had a set of tires cost under $1200 installed for any car that ive owned.

If the tires did not show any abnormal wear and it is not pulling to one side or anything than you should not need an alignment.

Some vehicles are harder on tires. I had a Toyota Camry that went thru tires pretty fast.

Tires should be rotated every 6-8,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alreadygone
NO ONE can answer this without a look at wear patterns on old tires.

Bob

Which is the reason why my Dad would rather see an old set of tires when buying a used car, than a set of brand new ones.

Once the dealing and dickering begins, the new set of tires will find their way into the deal.

I asked my alignment shop the same question. He said, no. After my alignment, he recommended returning every so often to check tire wear. If they see uneven wear, it may be time for some work.

Some places do lifetime alignments, like Firestone service centers. It could easily pay for itself after three alignments. I've done this, and the equipment and procedures are exactly the same as a standard four-wheel alignment. About the only issue I have is that they won't center the alignment towards specs if an alignment check shows it's within specs. Some cars are a little fiddly with tire wear even if the alignment is within specs but near the edge of factory spec. If you pay for a standard alignment, they're probably do whatever you request, even if it's already within specs.

They may offer to do various repairs, but I've never been approached to have a service done that I didn't agree was necessary (and that I would take elsewhere or do myself). I guess this is one way they anticipate they can recoup their losses from doing alignment checks and re-alignments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back