Amsoil PI vs Redline S1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau

Which one's better. I've been using redline as its readily available but I'm thinking of just buying the amsoil stuff at bulk and keeping it and using it.

Amsoil will be 3-4 bucks cheaper per a bottle then Redline.

Both are really good IMO. I use RL only bc I can get it locally at Pboy's.

never really felt the amsoil bug i use rl once a year just for the [censored] of it never felt the difference

Jeffdc5, love your signature, but Pennzoil has two N's one Z.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Oh, almost forgot. I've tried both and felt the best results with the new Amsoil PI. I still have a case of the old PI and I use a small amount of that each fill-up.

Last edited:
Well, let's put it this way:

SI-1 is like the one night stand, you're good for a little while.

P.I. is like a longer term girlfriend, you're good for a lot longer.

Blame buster, he got me going this morning. j/k.

Oh, also, I did ask a gal out today and she said yes and I am going to see the movie "21" tonight with a young Chinese wiz girl that graduated from M.I.T.

.........so, as you may see, I am feelin' a little spunky.
shocked2.gif
banana2.gif

I have used both and so far I still like Redline SI-1 and that is due to seeing it clean out a 900RR, riding lawnmower, and even an Olds. The 5 gas on the Olds was amazing. Even after a fuel injection service the Olds was no cleaner on a 5 gas (was a first for the instructor at least after my car which after 50K cam in blowing as clean as a freshly cleaned car.

Redline is awesome stuff. Wish I had more opportunity to try Amsoil in comparison but I have not.

If you are a dealer or preferred customer of amsoil get the PI if not just go to PepBoys if local and get that. Both seem to be really good.

so, tpitcher, I guess you'll tell us if this date was "SI-1" leading to "P.I", or just injector still needing a cleaning.

Sorry in advance!

Are you praising the 5 gas performance WHILE SI-1 was in the tank, or several tanks after it was used?

Too many people are unclear about whether they feel that a given miracle juice only improves things while its in the tank, or for tens of thousands of miles after use.

Per the Lubrizol rep, who helped AMSOIL formulate the PI, it is the most aggressive cleaner available on the market today.

Redline makes a very good product. BG44K is excellent. Certainly nothing bad about Techron.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Are you praising the 5 gas performance WHILE SI-1 was in the tank, or several tanks after it was used?

Too many people are unclear about whether they feel that a given miracle juice only improves things while its in the tank, or for tens of thousands of miles after use.

It was on a the next fill up and verified again at the end of the class 3 fill up later and his milage was still up 2 OCI later from where it was and running great still. Sure it slowly starts building [censored] up again but at least it is from pretty dang clean not a gunked up.

Yes:

Redline SI-1:

50% PolyEther Amine
10% Isooctanol
20% Aliphatic Naphtha

Presumably the other 20% is a mineral oil or Kerosene like carrier.

Amsoil P.i. :

36.9% Polyether Amine
4.5% Petroleum Naphtha
4.5% Substitute Aliphatic amine
0.2% Naphthalene
53.6% Hydrocarbon solvent

PEA (PolyEther Amine) is one of the main well established cleaners, and Red Line has a higher concentration of it. How the other ingredients compare to each other and if those ingredients allow Amsoil pulls ahead *in theory* in cleaning power is well beyond my paygrade to determine. Certainly these two are the tops now that Techron concentrate has no PEA based upon it's MSDS (different from Techron bulk which does has PEA in it according to the MSDS).

Rumple

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Anyone look at the MSDS to see what each has for components? Should be better than " I think" or just guessing.

Red Line SI-1 contains:

30% to 50% PolyEther Amine (PEA)
1% to 10% Isooctanol
5% to 20% Aliphatic Naphtha

http://www.redlineoil.com/msds/49.pdf

Based on the MSDS for SI-1, it appears as though the range provided for each ingredient is listed in terms of its percent of the fluid's total volume.

Amsoil PI contains:

44.4% to 53.8% Hydrocarbon Solvent
27.7% to 36.9% PolyEther Amine (PEA)
4.5% to 9% Petroleum Naphtha
4.5% to 9% Substituted Aliphatic Amine
0.2% Naphthalene

http://www.amsoil.com/msds/api.pdf

Based on the MSDS for Amsoil PI, each ingredient is listed in terms of its percent of the fluid's total weight. Specific gravity is used to designate a fluid's weight in relation to the same volume of H2O.

If the above information is correct, then Red Line contains 30% to 50% PEA by volume and Amsoil PI contains 27.7% to 36.9% PEA by weight. Comparing percent of PEA by weight against percent of PEA by volume is not an accurate means for determining which product contains more PEA.

I am too tired to try to figure out which product contains more PEA, but my money is on the PI. By the way, I treat each tank in my 2007 Civic LX with 1/3 ounce of SI-1 per gallon of gasoline. SI-1 is a great product and has excellent UCL properties.

I use Amsoil PI to clean up the fuel system in my wife's 2006 Pilot before each oil change. She does not want to add fuel system treatment to each tank of gas, so I rely on PI instead.

When all is said and done Amsoil PI and Red Line SI-1 are both top notch products. I wish that Amsoil would market a version of PI that could be used in each tank of gas like the SI-1. For now, however, the PI is geared towards periodic cleaning every 4,000 miles.

Thanks for the additional insight/corrections, always appreciated!

I have a 60,700 mile 2002 Ford Explorer that has always been filled up with inexpensive gas. I just put in some Gumout Ragane (two bottles worth), which has 30% - 40% PEA in it but has no other cleaners besides the Kerosene base, if that could be considred a cleaner at all.

I also picked up a bottle of Red Line SI-1(found at Pep Boys) and have a bottle of Amsoil Pi. I think I'll put in the Amsoil when the current tank is drained of the Gumout and call it a day. Next time I'll use the Red Line - or perhaps just a bit from the bottle on each subsequent fillup.

Sorta silly of me to have 3 types of gas cleaner, but what the heck - they are not too expensive and hopefully I'll see a small uptick in the performance (e.g. fuel economy, power) of the Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back