Pressure - more is better

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run the Saturn at 2psi over. The van get's stock pressures. Tires wear even and the ride is smooth. Handling and braking very predictable. No reason to mess with success.

My tire pressures are based on even wear, and nothing else. On small cars from 2000-2500 lbs I ran pressures of 32 front, and 30 rear. On larger cars like a Regal or Gran Prix I run 35 front, and 33 rear. On my Envoy, and all three of my GM 1/2 pickups I run/ran 39 front, and 36 rear. I have Milton tread depth gages, and a Slime digital pressure gage. Frequent rotation is helpful, and I think it becomes more critical on the wider tires.

I'm using 44psi front, 42psi rear (max pressure 44psi, 215/45R17). Being a hobbyist hypermiler, I don't see any problem with this setup. I think it all depends on your tire brand/type/size... many have reported more even tire wear with max sidewall pressure. My suspension is already stiff so I can't discern a difference in ride quality between 32 or 44 psi, honestly.

Also, my handling has improved since setting it to 44F/42R. There is a curvy 1-mile stretch of road I use to test my vehicle settings, and the max pressure has changed handling feel for the better. Cleanmpg.com directed me to this article, "Driving Under Pressure", which convinced me to try it out.

I had very good results with it, but your opinion will vary depending on the tire and your personal tolerances. I'm just saying the conventional nay-saying toward max sidewall pressure doesn't apply in every situation.

There's a fair amount of 'noise' possible depending upon climate. Worst case might be higher altitude in the summer where it can get pretty cool at night and yet can also get very warm during the day. Cars don't seem to get much in the recommended changes in pressure with load and/or speed, less variation and/or a dumbing down or I guess, at least compared to my pickup. As an example for my truck it's recommended to add 10 psi for sustained speeds over 65 mph, there is a wide range of pressure recommended for the rear tires, and a modest range for the front (17in load range E, up to 80 psi).

If your running a larger tire does pressure make much of a difference? My Tacoma came with 265/70R16's since adding a lift im currently running 265/75R16's. The factory pressure is 26 front and 29 rear.

He means width ARB, and a 265 is basically a 265. I would run more than 26/29 in that Tacoma however. In my old 99 Tacoma Prerunner I used to run 30 all the way around and it was perfect. 26 is squishy.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
He means width ARB, and a 265 is basically a 265. I would run more than 26/29 in that Tacoma however. In my old 99 Tacoma Prerunner I used to run 30 all the way around and it was perfect. 26 is squishy.

I was running 40 all the way around and after going 35 front ant 32 rear much better...not as harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back