So What's A Bargain Car Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just said the Accord is "nearly the same size inside" vs. the Impala, yet it has a 106 cu inches vs. the Impala at 104.5.
54.gif

Gas mileage: The new 3.5L V-6 is rated at 21/31 - The Accord V-6 19/29. The 4 banger Accord with an auto gets the same mileage as the Impala V-6. (21/31)

Don't just lie like a politician there lovcom! I see why you didn't post the actual numbers.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lovcom

Nope, the Accord is better because it is nearly the same size inside, better gas milage, more dependable too.

Check up on those Honda auto trannies...

Yep, the Accord and Odyssey have had their fair share of auto tranny problems. Oh, and so did the Honda powered Saturn VUE. Wouldn't buy a used Honda with an automatic.

I have a friend who traded a late 1990's Accord I think a 1996) for a 2003 Impala 3.4, and he gets better mileage with the Impala (both have the small V-6). Also parts are cheaper, parts are more available, less maintenance (no timing belt), lower initial price for car to begin with. His car now has close to 100K miles on it with no problems other than routine maintenance.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
FWIW I have a 2004 Impala that got 34.7 mpg from Richmond, Va to Pittsburgh, PA. The weather was cool enough that I didn't need A/C, and I set my cruise control at the speed limit (no faster than 65 mph on the interstate and no more than 60 on the back roads). And, BTW, the 3.4 Impala gets better mileage than a comparable Accord, costs less, and is a better, more roomy car. I have had no problems with my Impala, although it will need brakes soon.

did you do the same trip using the same condition with an accord? we drove from VA (60 miles north of you) down the key west and average was 80 mph with the occasional 100 mph in florida to follow ferarri and lambo. we also packed this car up good so it was nice and heavy for a long trip with no hotel stop. that was 1200 mile each way and about 50 miles here and there to get gas and food along the route. our mileage came out to be 36 mph. keep in mind that our 02 accord v6 ex top the line is no where near as efficient as the newer accord, which gets about 15% better gas mileage on high way.

highly suggest a low mileage CHEVY Prizm ( Corolla ) from 2000 > 2002 . Should be able to get 1 for less than $8,000 . Prices are pathetic these days . Back in 2003 we picked up a used 2000 PRIZM w/ 21,000 miles in near mint condition for less than $6,700 dollars . It was a 5 speed manual with power locks , single cdp , and cruise control . That car could nearly equal the '08 YARIS L.B. ( 5 speed manual ) for mileage , best was over 43 m.p.g. . Traded PRIZM in towards purchase of '08 YARIS L.B. and got $1,200 for it , had little over 90,000 miles . Would think a 2002 PRIZM with 21,000 miles and same features would cost little less than $9,000 these days . Nothing like the free market .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back